RE: [Distillers] New Alcohol Library is "Live"

  • garle whitson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
      I am on your list as gawclown@... but receive under the the msn email and mostly just read what has been posted since your new program of desisimination has begun, I suppose a lurker, and have had nothing to add to the discussion until now. This listing of these books is fantastic, to be open and honest. When I started trying to build a still eleven or twelve years back there was hardly any info on the web and it was difficult trying to search out what was needed. If these books had been available I am sure it would have saved me a year of experimenting and expensive fabrication that led finally to my ten foot plate still that produced three gallons per hour at 98%. My work was listed on Journey to Forever, if anyone is interested. thanks for the big help to new people hoping to become more efficient and productive. gaw

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: gnikomson2000@...
      Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:57:41 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] New Alcohol Library is "Live"

      http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/

      The results of 3+ years of work.

      Stage-1 is open for a trial run to see if it stands up to server load.

      Feedback is welcome.

      Enjoy!

      Distillers & new_distillers owner

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2010
        Bookshelf scrollers fixed & reloaded.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010

          Recent additions...

          Browse 'em here...

          http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
            Bless ya, Harry,

            You've added one of the most significant books in my life, Lange's
            Handbook of Chemistry. I bought it new in high school, and carried it
            through my years as a chemistry major, somehow it got lost in some move
            somewhere. For my occasional needs, I replaced it with an old
            second-hand Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, the "Rubber Bible", but I
            never saw it as being so necessary as to purchase the real deal. Since i
            don't tutor chemistry anymore, it just never seemed important to spend
            so much money on it.

            Thanks for this very pleasant surprise!

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
              Happy to oblige ya ZB. I'm just full of surprises. :)

            • thursty2
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2010

                > Happy to oblige ya ZB. I'm just full of surprises. :)
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Great Library. Fantastic work. Obviously a labour of love designed to whet appetites ;^)
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2010

                  Take a bow folks.  You have made the new Library a resounding success!  Thank you.

                • mav
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11, 2010
                    Congratulation Harry!

                    "That's great and all, but who's paying the bill for the outgoing traffic / site?"

                    That was my first thought.

                    Then my next thought was, shut up shut up! It's for free!

                    Cheers
                    Marc :)

                    > Take a bow folks. You have made the new Library a resounding success!
                    > Thank you.
                    >

                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry

                  • martin martins
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2010
                      I think it's a case of "thank you" it#s a great resource, I had a quick poke a around and there's a fantastic range of information there.

                      I know maybe this is a little off the wall, but how did you overcome copyright issues? I don't want to upset the apple-cart mind an amazing amount of work has gone into this and I'm going to keep noodling through it

                      thanks a lot

                      Take a bow folks.  You have made the new Library a resounding success!  Thank you.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11, 2010

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, martin martins <mm123@...> wrote:

                        > I think it's a case of "thank you" it#s a great resource, I had a quick poke a
                        > around and there's a fantastic range of information there.
                        >
                        > I know maybe this is a little off the wall, but how did you overcome copyright
                        > issues? I don't want to upset the apple-cart mind an amazing amount of work has
                        > gone into this and I'm going to keep noodling through it
                        >
                        > thanks a lot

                        I'm glad you find it useful.  To answer your question re copyright...

                        Quite simply, it's 'fair use'.  The Library is a NON-PROFIT, teaching and research facility.  It delivers material for viewing one-page-at-a-time.  This is in stark contrast to all the other collections out there e.g. Google Books, The Kindle reading system et al.  Those facilities require the download of whole chunks of the book, even the entire work, before they can be read.  That, in my humble opinion is NOT a secure delivery system.  It encourages thieves.

                        My system delivers a single page on-demand, and I promote each source work as a free advertising link for readers to search for and purchase hard copies from distributors if they so desire.  Quite frankly, I'm promoting publishers and Authors for free, to a target interested audience (you the students).  Many of the said authors and their literature would never get such precise exposure in normal circumstances, not even by their own publishers.

                        I believe this system to be unique, and an entirely new direction in teaching & learning support.  Go over the information from Cornell University Law School and see what you think...

                        § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

                        Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
                        (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
                        (2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
                        (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
                        (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
                        The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

                        Source: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

                        re: (1) The Alcohol Library is a non-profit education and research facility.

                        re: (2) The copyrighted works themselves are educational or informational resources, meant to provide knowledge to interested users.

                        re: (3) Single page delivery from a work consisting of sometimes 2000 pages plus, is infinitesimal.  Of course, as with any system, you could screen dump each page.  I guarantee you'll stop well before you get even one chapter.  Buying the book is a far easier option.

                        re: (4) Providing book and author exposure (free promotion), it can only INCREASE hardcopy booksales and EXPAND the market potential, thus authors and publishers make MORE money, at NO COST to themselves.

                      • Kevin Healey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 14, 2010
                          No, thank you Harry for a wonderful resource.

                          Kevin