Re: Whisky reference book

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
      Yes it's a great reference book Paddy.
      Unfortunately, posting links to download free entire copies of books, software, movies etc. is a violation of Yahoo terms of use. Therefore we regret that we'll have to remove your post.

      However, the book you mention will be available for online viewing and single page-at-a-time printout in the new Library section I've been working on.

      I guess you've tipped my hand. I wasn't ready to release it but stage-1 is pretty much operational so I guess now is as good a time as any.

    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 15, 2010
        Padric, that was an excellent link while it lasted, I really wish I printed off the pages while I had the chance but I waited until I finished with 'The Compleat Distiller' to begin. Low and behold I found the link to have died. Can you give me another one? Does anyone out there have a .pdf version or another link to that particular resource that they can provide?

        To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: padric@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:08:56 -0400
        Subject: [Distillers] Whisky reference book

        For anyone who would like a _SERIOUSLY_ indepth reference book on whisky distilling, I found this one while researching continuous stills:

        Whisky
        Technology, Production and Marketing
        Elsevier, 2003
        Edited by: Inge Russell, Graham Stewart, Charlie Bamforth and Inge Russell
        ISBN: 978-0-12-669202- 0

        The contents are:

        Chapter 1 - History of the development of whiskey distillation, Pages 1-24,
        George N. Bathgate
        Chapter 2 - Malt whiskies: Raw materials and processing, Pages 27-73, Timothy
        C.S. Dolan
        Chapter 3 - Grain whisky: Raw materials and processing, Pages 75-112, Tom A.
        Bringhurst, Anne L. Broadhead and James Brosnan
        Chapter 4 - Yeast and fermentation, Pages 115-150, Iain Campbell
        Chapter 5 - Batch distillation, Pages 153-176, Denis Arthur Nicol
        Chapter 6 - Grain whisky distillation, Pages 179-206, Iain Campbell
        Chapter 7 - Maturation and blending, Pages 209-240, John Conner, Ken Reid and
        Frances Jack
        Chapter 8 - Co-products, Pages 243-272, Bob Pass and Ian Lambert
        Chapter 9 - Whisky analysis, Pages 275-306, Ross Aylott
        Chapter 10 - Marketing Scotch whisky, Pages 309-349, Grant E. Gordon

        The link to download in .PDF is:

        http://ebooks9. com/b978- pdf.html

        You might have to cut and paste the link. The file you want is the third one down. (Whiskey.pdf) , or search for:

        B978-0-12-669202- 0.50014-2

        After skimming chapter 6, I think my questions on the Coffey still are resolved.

        cheers,

        Paddy

        Enter for a chance to get your town photo on Bing.ca! Submit a Photo Now!
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 16, 2010
          If you consider the printing cost of a download it is more convenient to buy a hard copy.
          Try -
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/production.htm

          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

          > Padric, that was an excellent link while it lasted, I really wish I printed off the pages while I had the chance but I waited until I finished with 'The Compleat Distiller' to begin. Low and behold I found the link to have died. Can you give me another one? Does anyone out there have a .pdf version or another link to that particular resource that they can provide?
          >
          > To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: padric@...
          > Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:08:56 -0400
          > Subject: [Distillers] Whisky reference book

          > For anyone who would like a _SERIOUSLY_ indepth reference book on whisky distilling, I found this one while researching continuous stills:
          >

          > Whisky
          >
          > Technology, Production and Marketing
          >
          > Elsevier, 2003
          >
          > Edited by: Inge Russell, Graham Stewart, Charlie Bamforth and Inge Russell
          >
          > ISBN: 978-0-12-669202-0
          >

          > The contents are:
          >

          > Chapter 1 - History of the development of whiskey distillation, Pages 1-24,
          >
          > George N. Bathgate
          >
          > Chapter 2 - Malt whiskies: Raw materials and processing, Pages 27-73, Timothy
          >
          > C.S. Dolan
          >
          > Chapter 3 - Grain whisky: Raw materials and processing, Pages 75-112, Tom A.
          >
          > Bringhurst, Anne L. Broadhead and James Brosnan
          >
          > Chapter 4 - Yeast and fermentation, Pages 115-150, Iain Campbell
          >
          > Chapter 5 - Batch distillation, Pages 153-176, Denis Arthur Nicol
          >
          > Chapter 6 - Grain whisky distillation, Pages 179-206, Iain Campbell
          >
          > Chapter 7 - Maturation and blending, Pages 209-240, John Conner, Ken Reid and
          >
          > Frances Jack
          >
          > Chapter 8 - Co-products, Pages 243-272, Bob Pass and Ian Lambert
          >
          > Chapter 9 - Whisky analysis, Pages 275-306, Ross Aylott
          >
          > Chapter 10 - Marketing Scotch whisky, Pages 309-349, Grant E. Gordon
          >

          > The link to download in .PDF is:
          >

          > http://ebooks9.com/b978-pdf.html
          >

          > You might have to cut and paste the link. The file you want is the third one down. (Whiskey.pdf), or search for:
          >

          > B978-0-12-669202-0.50014-2
          >
          > After skimming chapter 6, I think my questions on the Coffey still are resolved.
          >

          > cheers,
          >

          > Paddy

          > Learn more ways to connect with your buddies now
          > http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9734388

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 16, 2010

            Gavin,

            Paddy's posting on this link was deleted by Harry, who stated quite rightly it is illegal to download a copyrighted book.  Here is his response:

            JB.   (check out his new library, if its not there yet it will be.)

          • padric@london.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 16, 2010
              JB,
              You may want to re-read Harry's response, the emphasis is mine:

              Yes it's a great reference book Paddy.
              Unfortunately, posting links to download free entire copies of books, software,
              movies etc. _is a violation of Yahoo terms of use_. Therefore we regret that
              we'll have to remove your post.

              However, the book you mention will be available for online viewing and single
              page-at-a-time printout in the new Library section I've been working on.

              I guess you've tipped my hand. I wasn't ready to release it but stage-1 is
              pretty much operational so I guess now is as good a time as any.

              Jim,
              Having waded my way through a chunk of the archives, I realize the amount of work that you and the other mods here do.
               As a matter of fact, without that willingness to help, groups like these wouldn't exist.
              But please, unless you live in one of the areas of the globe where this great hobby is accepted,  have a care about using words like legal/illegal to describe activities performed here, as according to your own government, my posting that link was less of an offence than you coaching someone through the steps to make/run a sugar wash.

              Please note, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, or climb on any soapbox, and if I had been less sleep deprived, I would not have posted the link in the first place.

              @Wal- This book is not available in hard copy anymore, unless you can find a used copy, and the only one I found was ~$600 USD through Amazon. The new copies are only available as an E-Book with a price of ~$150 USD. So you would have printing costs anyway, and if, like me, you only want one particular chapter......?

              Paddy

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010
                No problem paddy,

                A while back I also found a site that had The Compleat Distiller for
                download, which I told everyone here about... However, it was also an
                illegal copy and not only Harry, but Mike Nixon got involved since they
                are good friends.

                The site was taken down the next dayand I appolgized to Mike.

                JB.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, padric@... wrote:

                > JB,
                > You may want to re-read Harry's response, the emphasis is mine:
              • Rufus
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010
                  Though many of you may already be aware of this book for those who aren't there is "The Complete Distiller" by A. Cooper that is in the public domain and it contains alot of good info on distilling malted spirits as well as just about anything else. This book though quite old is available either on the net or it can be downloaded from Google Books. As long as you abide by Google's terms and conditions it's available without charge.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010
                    Gavin, Google Books has the first for 1/3 of the book (through Chapter 4)available to read online without charge at:

                    http://books.google.com/books?id=IukpfhXSdzUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Whisky&hl=en&ei=O9ZBTMb6CcH98AaBouAU&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                    You can also buy the other Chapters in the book for about $30.00 a chapter at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780126692020

                    Hope this helps.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010

                      Sidenote Gavin and Paddy,

                      Whiskey - Technology, Production and Marketing is available in Harry's New Alcohol Library.

                      http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/production.htm

                      JB.

                      Need a hardcopy version?

                      Find the lowest price for Whisky:: Technology, Production and Marketing

                      NOTE:  We are a Library.  We do not sell any books

                      "Literature discussing whisky processing with respect to the 'art of beverage' production is numerous, however few reference textbooks consider the science and technology behind whisky manufacturing. Whisky: Technology, Production and Marketing therefore presents detailed information on both the 'art of beverage' and the scientific aspects behind Scottish whisky production. It should appeal to all researchers with interests in distilled spirits, and the casual reader with interest in drinking such high quality products."

                      (John F. Kennedy & Francois Meullenet, University of Birmingham Research, U.K., November 2004)

                      "There is no doubt that it is an important contribution to the literature available on whisky and will be welcomed by all with an interest in this subject...This is an excellent book, which was badly needed. It has a consistent style, reads well and will I am sure become standard reference and learning text. Students of distilling can rejoice!"

                      -JOURNAL OF INSTITUTE OF BREWING (2003)

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010

                        > Sidenote Gavin and Paddy,
                        >
                        > Whiskey - Technology, Production and Marketing is available in Harry's
                        > New Alcohol Library.

                        > http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/production.htm

                        Just a 'heads up' guys.  Direct linking to book sections is no longer do-able.  You need to access through the homepage...

                        http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/

                      • edbar44
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 21, 2010
                          I've got a wash that appears to be stuck at 1.030 although it is still bubbling a little, any problem stripping this out?
                        • jamesonbeam1
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 21, 2010
                            If its still bubbling then let it finish. 1.030 means you still have
                            about 11 oz. of sugar per gallon or another 4 to 4.5% ABV left
                            unfermented (less anyother solids).

                            JB.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 22, 2010
                              How long should I let it go, bubbling very slowly and if you are saying there is 11 oz per gallon left, I would have about 17# of sugar left to go, that's a lot. I did a step feed at 1.045, added about 10# and it went back to 1.080 and started slowing a few days ago, brix is 18.

                              > If its still bubbling then let it finish. 1.030 means you still have
                              > about 11 oz. of sugar per gallon or another 4 to 4.5% ABV left
                              > unfermented (less anyother solids).
                              >
                              > JB.
                              >

                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I've got a wash that appears to be stuck at 1.030 although it is still
                              > bubbling a little, any problem stripping this out?

                            • ben marks
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 22, 2010
                                wait till it quits bubbling!  i asume you are using an air lock i let mine go till there is at least  2 minutes between each bubble then sometimes i even wait a day or two more ....ben

                                ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                Some people are like slinkies- not good for anything, But it sure is fun to push them down the stairs

                                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                From: edbar44@...
                                Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:01:10 +0000
                                Subject: [Distillers] Re: Distilling stuck wash

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 22, 2010
                                  Hi Edbar,

                                  Well lets start back at the beginning so we can figure out whats going
                                  on. What recipe are you using, how much sugar have you added, how much
                                  water, what nutrients, did you aerate the wash and what type of yeast
                                  are you using??

                                  This will help to figure out if its really stuck or not.

                                  Thanks,

                                  JB.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                                  > How long should I let it go, bubbling very slowly and if you are
                                  saying there is 11 oz per gallon left, I would have about 17# of sugar
                                  left to go, that's a lot. I did a step feed at 1.045, added about 10#
                                  and it went back to 1.080 and started slowing a few days ago, brix is
                                  18.

                                  > > If its still bubbling then let it finish. 1.030 means you still have
                                  > > about 11 oz. of sugar per gallon or another 4 to 4.5% ABV left
                                  > > unfermented (less anyother solids).
                                  > >
                                  > > JB.
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I've got a wash that appears to be stuck at 1.030 although it is
                                  still
                                  > > bubbling a little, any problem stripping this out?

                                • Ed Barcik
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23, 2010

                                    To answer your question about what I started with, 26 gallons of water 75# sugar, OG 1.120, I know this seems high but I've done the same wash for over a year without a problem but this is the first I've done during the summer and its rather warm. Used all the required nutrients plus vitamin B, starting pH was 5.0. I used a ¼ cup of distillers yeast which is supposed to be tolerant to 22%.  It ran well for 8 days and when the SG dropped to 1.045, I added about 10# of sugar and some more nutrients and more vitamin B, pH was 4.8 the SG went to 1.080 and the brix was 26.

                                    As of this morning, it has stopped bubbling, SG is 1.030 and hasn't moved in several days. Two days ago, I added some water, maybe a gallon or so and more yeast but to no avail, it's just sitting.

                                  • jeweler53
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 23, 2010
                                      You might try a "restart".

                                      This is what I have done with 100% success.

                                      Make a 1 qt (or liter) starter using a SG of 1.030 (or wherever you are stuck), in a 1 gal jar. Grape juice is great for this it has a good balance of nutrients.

                                      Pitch a tablespoon of yeast and fit an airlock. Fermentation should commence right away.

                                      When fermentation is going strong, add 1 quart of the "stuck" wash.

                                      Wait until fermentation is going strong again and add 2 quarts (doubling it again). Repeat this doubling for awhile (wait for very vigorous fermentation each time), until you get a very large volume of wash (6 gal.?) that is fermenting. Then pitch the whole thing back into your wash.

                                      I normally have used this procedure on 5 or 6 gallon batches and re-pitch when I have 1 gal of actively fermenting wash.

                                      This method allows the yeast to get used to the high ETOH level slowly. Some yeasts will not re-pitch very well when there is a lot of ETOH present.

                                      Good luck!

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 24, 2010

                                        I may try that but here's a question I've been mulling over and it's really not important but could be a solution if anyone thinks this will work. What if I was to strip this stuck wash? The left over in the boiler from the stuck wash should be my sugar solution, right or wrong, is it possible to use that and start a new fermentation to capture the balance of the sugar that is just sitting there?

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 24, 2010
                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                                          > I may try that but here's a question I've been mulling over and it's really
                                          > not important but could be a solution if anyone thinks this will work. What
                                          > if I was to strip this stuck wash? The left over in the boiler from the
                                          > stuck wash should be my sugar solution, right or wrong, is it possible to
                                          > use that and start a new fermentation to capture the balance of the sugar
                                          > that is just sitting there?

                                          Yes you can. Once you remove the bulk of the ethanol, what's left is hot liquid with some overboiled sugar (ala molasses) in it and dead axploded yeast cells (nutrients). Dissolve more sugar in the hot liquid, let it cool, then pitch more yeast. People been doing this for centuries and making nice rum agricole.

                                          The stripped alcohol will need to be refluxed to remove the pyrolytic off-flavors, and probably carbon polished also (burnt sugar ain't a nice taste). It's a vodka or blend-back candidate only.

                                        • jamesonbeam1
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 26, 2010

                                            Hi Ed,

                                            Sorry, I sent 4 messages this weekend and all were rejected by Yahoo.  Even complained to Harry about it.  Yours happened to be one of them - Just got the reject notices today.  Here it is:

                                            Hi Ed,

                                            Unforunately it now sounds like you have butted heads with two of the
                                            top problems for stuck washes - high heat and high gravity (too much
                                            sugar).  Might want to read the Top 10 Reasons for Stuck fermentations
                                            by E.C. Kraus -  http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-failure.html
                                            <http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-failure.html>

                                            For every 10C degrees increase in temperature, yeast will double their
                                            chemical reaction speed and activity during fermentation.  While the
                                            yeast we use like to work best at room temperatures (between 70F and
                                            75F), when the temp goes over 85F the fermentation will start generating
                                            more heat then the ambient temperature and cause the poor devils to
                                            basically work so hard they burn themselves out.  During  hot weather
                                            like we have had this summer, you need to keep a keen eye on the
                                            fermentation temp and use some type of wort chiller if needed.  This is
                                            why "stacking" of Turbo yeasts is not recommended....

                                            While I have heard of that distiller's yeast capable of 22% ABV, you
                                            should ask the manufacturer what the upper limit is on temp.  That
                                            combined with the amount of sugar your using is most likely what caused
                                            your fermentation to stall.

                                            In the future, during hot weather I would go no higher then your
                                            original starting gravity of 1.120 and keep the potential ABV to around
                                            18% (or no more then 3 lbs. of sugar per gallon) - see:
                                            http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm
                                            <http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm>   Also when going
                                            to as high a gravity as you went to, I would start off with no more then
                                            2 lbs. of sugar per gallon when pitching the yeast, then gradually add
                                            the additional sugars in 2 or 3  increments as the SG decreases by 1/3rd
                                            each time.

                                            Also, and Im sure quite a few here will agree, it takes less  time to
                                            ferment a couple of 12% to 13% ABV washes, with less off-tastes, and
                                            less stress on the yeast then trying for a 20%  to 22% ABV fermentation
                                            all at once.

                                            The only 2 choices you have now is to go with Jewler's suggestion for
                                            restarting a stuck fermentation, bit by bit, which is standard practice
                                            for restarts or try distilling it as is.

                                            Make sure if you go this route to do it low and slow so as not to burn
                                            the solids in your wash and follow what Harry says.

                                            HTH.

                                            JB.

                                          • Ed Barcik
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 27, 2010

                                              The only 2 choices you have now is to go with Jewler's suggestion for
                                              restarting a stuck fermentation, bit by bit, which is standard practice
                                              for restarts or try distilling it as is.

                                              Make sure if you go this route to do it low and slow so as not to burn
                                              the solids in your wash and follow what Harry says.

                                              What I decided to do was distill and then start what's left over as a new wash since there is considerable sugar left in there anyway, so yesterday, I distilled the first half (12g) and pulled off an impressive 6+ liters of about 60% and what was left over was a dark brown liquid smelling very much like molasses. I just fired up the second half this morning and after all if done, hope to be able to start a new wash with the leftovers and more sugar, thinking about SG of 1.080 or so and will use the same super start distiller's yeast. I had added some nutrients to the batch when I did a step feeding, you suppose I need more or there should be some residual even after the distill or am I wrong?

                                            • jamesonbeam1
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 27, 2010
                                                Yes, there should be residual nutrients left and as Harry mentioned, the
                                                exploded yeast hulls will provide even more. You can also boil up any
                                                leftover trub from the bottom of your fermenter which makes great
                                                nutrients.

                                                JB.