New Still

  • goldenshine65802
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi all, I just got back from the Salvage Yard, and as luck would have it I scored on some more stuff to build my new Still. I'm going to design and weld it myself, I have seen a lot of Stills all good designs, all a credit to thoughs that built them, but I have desided to do something a little different. I now have a 316 S.S. Piece of Welded Pipe 1/4X 14 1/5" ID and 20" long which plan to weld a top and bottem on for my tank. I also was able to get a 1/8" X 6"X 36" piece of copper plate which I will use to decorate it with as I plan to build one that is not only a fully funtional still but artistic as well. The tank will be quite heavy due to the thickness of the S.S. Pipe which is now at 70lbs its self. I plan to cut it down some and do some art work on it. I will keep you all posted on how it goes and will try to get some pics. of it posted when I complete it. I plan to make a Hybrid Reflux Pot type Still, I am still working on the design, the tower is my only weak point at this moment as I need to keep the whole thing under 7' and no more than 4' wide as I plan to build a cabinet around it. Also I have to set up a cooling water tank in the same space so that I can cool my condenser. which is another story. George791
    • was2132
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 8, 2004
        I'd love to get some input as to exactly what I've acquired here.
        Pictures are posted in the photo section at Austin's Still. The
        head of the still consists of a 22"x2" column (20" above the
        flange), with a rudimentary reflux condensor that consists of a 1/2"
        tube running parallel to the top of the boiler, through the column,
        at 6" above the boiler top, running upwards (outside the column) 4",
        and then returning through the column. 8-1/2" above that tube is
        the product take-off tube(also 1/2" copper)which is set
        perpendicular to the column. That tube runs down, parallel to the
        column, through a 12"x1" water jacket. The top of the column is
        closed with a slip fit 2" cap drilled and grommeted for a
        thermometer. All of this is bolted to the lid of a milk keg. The
        column construction is all soldered copper. The whole rig appears
        to be very sturdy and well-built.

        It is certainly feasible to put copper scrubbers between the top
        tube of the reflux condensor and below the take off tube, if there
        is any purpose to that. There is no product cup, dish, etc., inside
        the column.

        What can I expect from this rig? What would you suggest for a
        gasket between the flange and the lid (notice that the flange is
        mounted over the embossed letters on the lid.
      • maxime_belair
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 8, 2004
          Hi,

          From what I red on homedistiller.org, I would expect 92%-93%, but my still has a
          fully 1.20m packed column (stainles steel scrubbers) and the max I got is 94%. I
          guess it depends on how you run your still. I think you can distillate faster and keep
          a certain purity if your column is long. Personally, I am more than happy with this
          94%. It's at 1.5% difference from the purest you can get. 1.5% ? Who can see the
          difference?

          If you make good cuts, you will get good alcohol. Even if you don't have packing, you
          could distill it 2-3 times to get around 80-90%. But I have no experience with
          alcohol distilled alcohol to 80-90% so I can't tell you if it is good... I guess it would
          be.

          For the gasket beetween the lid and the flange, buy a little tube of 100% clear silicone
          and make a joint. It should be dry in 24hr and it resist up to 205 degrees celcius if my
          memory is good. Make sure your screws are very tight.

          Good Luck,

          Maxime Belair

          =====
          > What can I expect from this rig? What would you suggest for a
          > gasket between the flange and the lid (notice that the flange is
          > mounted over the embossed letters on the lid.
        • linw992003
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 8, 2004
            This is a shortish fractionating still with forced reflux tubes. It
            is generally recognised that these reflux tubes in the middle of the
            column are not good design. They are there mainly to absorb some of
            the power from the boiler. Ideally, this column would benefit by
            being another foot longer but it will still work well (IMHO!) if you
            ensure that the column is packed for its whole length with SS or
            copper scrubbers and you limit the boiler input power. This latter
            can't be emphasised enough. If you can limit the power to, say, 750W
            or so (you just want a rolling broil action) you should be able to
            get enough reflux to get 90% plus abv. The keys are slow action
            (power control) and good packing.

            Looks like some gasket action on the keg would be good. I would
            consider grinding off the lettering to provide a good flat surface.
            Compensating for the lettering sounds like a second-best idea.

            Good luck and let's know how your first run goes.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "was2132" <asmith1@b...> wrote:
            > I'd love to get some input as to exactly what I've acquired here.
            > Pictures are posted in the photo section at Austin's Still. The
            > head of the still consists of a 22"x2" column (20" above the
            > flange), with a rudimentary reflux condensor that consists of a
            1/2"
            > tube running parallel to the top of the boiler, through the
            column,
            > at 6" above the boiler top, running upwards (outside the column)
            4",
            > and then returning through the column. 8-1/2" above that tube is
            > the product take-off tube(also 1/2" copper)which is set
            > perpendicular to the column. That tube runs down, parallel to the
            > column, through a 12"x1" water jacket. The top of the column is
            > closed with a slip fit 2" cap drilled and grommeted for a
            > thermometer. All of this is bolted to the lid of a milk keg. The
            > column construction is all soldered copper. The whole rig appears
            > to be very sturdy and well-built.
            >
            > It is certainly feasible to put copper scrubbers between the top
            > tube of the reflux condensor and below the take off tube, if there
            > is any purpose to that. There is no product cup, dish, etc.,
            inside
            > the column.
            >
            > What can I expect from this rig? What would you suggest for a
            > gasket between the flange and the lid (notice that the flange is
            > mounted over the embossed letters on the lid.
          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 9, 2004
              Can't grind off the lettering...would grind through the surface of the lid. Am contemplating having the flange welded or braised to the lid, since the lid is removable. I'll get it all squared away and we'll see what I get.

            • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 13, 2004
                I am working on a still and have posted pictures at
                the following address:

                http://zzhaphedoix.photosite.com/Workinprogress/

                The still is largely dumbbell shaped with one
                condenser at the top. Distillate is collected in the
                common condensation chamber and then diverted either
                back to the Cu++ mesh reflux column or to the take off
                path way. I am 80 or so percent done and welcome
                feedback. Do let me know what you think.

                -ZZ

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • justin_dittmann
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                  Answer also posted in New Distillers. Alright, I'll have a go. It's
                  good fun to have a discussion on designs and stuff so I'm sorry no
                  one's taken the bait. This is my first foray into discussing still
                  designs so here it goes, I have a few design questions to ask:

                  Q.1 How much liquid are you going to need to collect in the bottom
                  of the condenser pot before you can actually control the amount of
                  reflux and rate of collection? Being such a big pot (guessing 19-
                  20L) you'll probably need quite a few hundred mls (maybe a litre?)
                  to cover the base of the pot so that you can have liquid ethanol
                  covering both the reflux return and collection ports, and that's
                  assuming the inlets are flush with the bottom. This large volume is
                  going to cool substanitally I would think which is not ideal to then
                  go injecting back into the centre of the column via the reflux
                  return as it will fall along way down the column before re-
                  evapourating, this may even serve as a sort of internal cooling in
                  the column. Eg. My N/S/M offset head would hold 30mls or less before
                  overflowing back into the reflux return tube so wouldn't cool very
                  much (I don't have a valve on this return).

                  Q.2 If you do need to collect such a large volume before you can
                  control take off/reflux how are you going to separate the foreshots
                  and heads as these will dilute into this initial volume, hence you
                  end up with up to a litre of contaminated liquor that you'll need to
                  run next time.

                  Q.3 You'll want to make sure the bottom of that top pot is perfectly
                  level, especially considering the reflux and collection tubes are on
                  opposite sides of the pot. If it's slightly off level you'll get
                  pooling on one side which will mean either no reflux, no collection
                  or neither until the level rises enough. This may also contribute to
                  the weight accumulating at the top of the column and may even
                  unbalance it. I would have put both collecting and refulx tube on
                  the same side right near each other.

                  Q.4 The condenser: 50ft of 3/8" copper will hold quite a bit of
                  water and is going to be pretty heavy when full of water flowing
                  through it (and this is going to be above your head most likely), so
                  I hope your column is going to be well attached and well supported.
                  I'm guessing, at least from a safety point of view your going to
                  need to brace that column at the bottom where it attaches to the keg
                  like you did to support the condenser. 50ft in my opinion this is a
                  massive condenser an it looks a tad inefficient, but I could be
                  wrong here (look at what others use, I use 5m of 1/4" wrapped in a
                  1" coil). Regardless of efficiency it's still going to he heavy
                  though. If the pot is full of ethanol and you power by gas and it
                  was to fall off that would be terribly exciting and I'd love to
                  watch ;)

                  Q.5 Is the top of the column flush with the base of the condenser
                  pot? If so this will confound the reflux/return problem of liquid
                  pooling in the bottom of the pot. I would guess if it protruded say
                  10mm into the pot this problem would be eliminated (I couldn't tell
                  from your photos).

                  Well, there's a start. Hope they are helpful questions and not too
                  offensive. I might post this response on Distillers as well and see
                  if we can fire anything up there. Is this your first still and if so
                  why didn't you go for a proven design for an first go to get you
                  started and then plan on building something different later on?
                  There are plenty of simple designs out there that are cheap to make
                  and work, that way at least you know you'll have one still that will
                  work from the first go. I would have personally gone for one of the
                  designs on this news group or homedistiller.org, at least for a
                  first go. Good luck with it anyway, hope it pans out.

                  Cheers, Justin

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "justin_dittmann"
                    <justin_dittmann@y...> wrote:
                    > Answer also posted in New Distillers. Alright, I'll have a go.
                    It's
                    > good fun to have a discussion on designs and stuff so I'm sorry no
                    > one's taken the bait. This is my first foray into discussing still
                    > designs so here it goes, I have a few design questions to ask:
                    <snip>

                    Congratulations, Justin. Those are all practical observations! :-)
                    I knew someone would eventually have some input. It's amazing how
                    everyone sits on their hands and waits for the few who are willing
                    to share info. Run in that fashion, this forum is no longer a like-
                    minded community, but rather a leach site.

                    So come on people! Justin's started the ball rolling, how's about
                    the 1500+ members here doing a tad more than just reading, or
                    sulking about perceived slights. We've lost too many members whose
                    knowledge is irreplaceable, all because of complacency and ego.
                    HAVE A GO!

                  • justin_dittmann
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                      Sorry to be off topic here. But.

                      Thanks Harry, but I have to agree with you. Not knocking anyone, I'm
                      just saying. I've got a lot of info off this discussion group and
                      the archives and have learnt a lot in the past few weeks that I've
                      been visiting this site. Having been an active member in a number of
                      homebrewing forums and groups I see the need to contribute something
                      back to the group once your in the position to make a contribution,
                      rather than just getting the info you need and running off.

                      Without a continued input from people these forums die, and I agree
                      that it can't be left up to a few well respected members to keep
                      answering the questions, I feel it's important to put something back
                      in if you have gained something out of it. I certainly wouldn't have
                      even wandered down this line of hobby with out a good quality site
                      like this and the people that contributed to it and with the help of
                      Alex's site. I'm stoked to be involved with it and I'm now hooked on
                      this hobby as well-oh help me! (I'm also hopelessly hooked on all
                      grain homebrewing too). Oh well.

                      Cheers and thanks guys for all the input in the past guys, hope it
                      can keep building.

                      End of ramble. (I just like to see my messages on the board ;) )

                      Cheers, Justin

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "justin_dittmann"
                      > <justin_dittmann@y...> wrote:
                      > > Answer also posted in New Distillers. Alright, I'll have a go.
                      > It's
                      > > good fun to have a discussion on designs and stuff so I'm sorry
                      no
                      > > one's taken the bait. This is my first foray into discussing
                      still
                      > > designs so here it goes, I have a few design questions to ask:
                      > <snip>
                      >

                      > Congratulations, Justin. Those are all practical observations! :-
                      )
                      > I knew someone would eventually have some input. It's amazing how
                      > everyone sits on their hands and waits for the few who are willing
                      > to share info. Run in that fashion, this forum is no longer a
                      like-
                      > minded community, but rather a leach site.
                      >
                      > So come on people! Justin's started the ball rolling, how's about
                      > the 1500+ members here doing a tad more than just reading, or
                      > sulking about perceived slights. We've lost too many members
                      whose
                      > knowledge is irreplaceable, all because of complacency and ego.
                      > HAVE A GO!
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry
                    • linw992003
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                        (Stung into action by Harry!! - didn't see your critique, though,
                        Harry??).

                        The top bit is stunning, I must say. (It would certainly stun you if
                        it fell!). I have to go along with Justin's comments, especially the
                        advice to go a bit more conventional. It is out of proportion, really.
                        It looks like it should have a 10" column and a 200 gallon boiler
                        under it! When you consider the very low flow-rate in use for a highly
                        refluxed system, the big tubes and valves are, well, big. Is there a
                        reason you chose to use a large bucket instead of a 2-3 inch piece of
                        tube with qtr inch coil?

                        From a design perspective, it is better practice to return the reflux
                        to the top of the column, rather than half-way down.

                        Sorry if this sounds negative but you did ask for input!

                        Good luck. You will eventually get a good still going but it may be a
                        wee bit different from the current design? But if it is a raging
                        success, let us know!

                        Cheers, Lindsay.

                      • tonimarie@iinet.net.au
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                          hi Harry
                          i would if i had actually done any distilling however i am just learning slowly
                          and picking up what i can in preparation to building my own and starting myself

                          Toni

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, tonimarie@i... wrote:
                            > hi Harry
                            > i would if i had actually done any distilling however i am just
                            learning slowly
                            > and picking up what i can in preparation to building my own and
                            starting myself

                            > Toni

                            Hi Toni,
                            Well you're in the right place for that. These forums and the
                            attached sites are probably the greatest collection of amateur
                            distilling info anywhere in the world, although sometimes we need a
                            little 'reminder' that we are: "dedicated to the EXCHANGE of
                            information and experiences relating to the process of producing
                            alcohol at home" (see the browser strip above).

                            Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure someone will have
                            either done it before, or know where to find the answers. Remember,
                            the only stupid question is the one that's never asked. :-)

                          • tonimarie@iinet.net.au
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 15, 2004
                              thanks Harry
                              have been enjoying it on here immensly and am learning. funny thing is that
                              half the time by the time i think of a Q to ask someone is just a few posts on
                              asking the same:) at the moment to i am not living somewhere that would be
                              particularally suitable for starting to do distilling but once i move i hope to
                              find somewhere that is suitable
                              thanks again

                              Toni

                              Quoting Harry <gnikomson2000@...>:

                              > Hi Toni,
                              > Well you're in the right place for that. These forums and the
                              > attached sites are probably the greatest collection of amateur
                              > distilling info anywhere in the world, although sometimes we need a
                              > little 'reminder' that we are: "dedicated to the EXCHANGE of
                              > information and experiences relating to the process of producing
                              > alcohol at home" (see the browser strip above).
                              >
                              > Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure someone will have
                              > either done it before, or know where to find the answers. Remember,
                              > the only stupid question is the one that's never asked. :-)
                              >

                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry
                            • GWN
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 16, 2004
                                Greeting Harry,

                                As much as I enjoy reading the letters that show up here, I do find
                                it prudent to be a lurker most of the time.

                                I just can't seem to forget that what we are doing here is a
                                violation of federal law!

                                With MAJOR bucks and jail time if caught!!

                                As you state, there are over 1500 of us. Which just shows how stupid
                                the laws are. Or rather, who gets the most money for keeping things
                                as they are...

                                Until we can all get together at the voting booth and remove the
                                elected officals who are getting iin the way. I will continue to be
                                a mouse in the corner. Cause you see that fly on the wall over
                                there?? He is with the FTA...

                                GWN

                                wrote:
                                <snip>

                                > Congratulations, Justin. Those are all practical observations! :-
                                )
                                > I knew someone would eventually have some input. It's amazing how
                                > everyone sits on their hands and waits for the few who are willing
                                > to share info. Run in that fashion, this forum is no longer a
                                like-
                                > minded community, but rather a leach site.
                                >
                                > So come on people! Justin's started the ball rolling, how's about
                                > the 1500+ members here doing a tad more than just reading, or
                                > sulking about perceived slights. We've lost too many members
                                whose
                                > knowledge is irreplaceable, all because of complacency and ego.
                                > HAVE A GO!
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry
                              • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 16, 2004
                                  To answer a couple of questions all at once: The condenser is a 5 Gallon stainless steel pot. The column top is 1.5-2� inside the bottom of the condenser. The reflux and take off pipes are �� tall.

                                  Quite a bit of ethanol would have to be collected before there was any ethanol to be refluxed or taken off. I guess some of this can be solved by cutting slits in the take off tubes with a dremel but as part of the design this is in inherent problem. Another solution might be to put a filler, like marbles, in the bottom of the condenser decreasing the required volume to reach the take off tubes.

                                  Initially what I wanted was a rack mount type still. I wanted an appliance. I built a base to support the boiler and the still head. The base is in the background of the still head pics. It is plywood and constructed with epoxy glue and drywall screws. It is sturdy. I haven�t installed brackets yet because I am still working on how to heat the boiler. Ideally the base will hold the condenser head level.

                                  justin_dittmann <justin_dittmann@...> wrote:Answer also posted in New Distillers. Alright, I'll have a go. It's

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                • Grayson Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 16, 2004
                                    The large stock pot is such an ummmm, unorthodoxed design from what
                                    I'm used to seeing on here that I feel as though i must be missing
                                    out on the benefit of using the poat rather than something smaller.

                                    3/8" diameter copper pipe will hold almost 2.5 lbs. of water which
                                    isn't alot, but it does seem like it would be difficult to equally
                                    distribute 50 ft of coiled copper pipe exactly...and thereby equally
                                    distributing the weight of the cooling water.

                                    Cutting slits in the tubes as mentioned sounds like a reasonable
                                    idea....adding the hefty weight of marbles to a top heavy design
                                    doesn't.

                                    Looks as though ball valves were chosen for both the reflux and
                                    distillate take off lines. Do others get as much control from these
                                    as a needle valve? Seems it would be really hard to refine the take
                                    off to a certain number of drops per second.
                                  • BOKAKOB
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 16, 2004
                                      You just put yourself in biiiiiig trouble. Couldn'y you keep it to yourself? :-)

                                      Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
                                      There are no warranties of any kind
                                      Act on your own risk and finally...
                                      I can be wrong I must say
                                      Cheers, Alex...

                                    • Peggy
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 17, 2004
                                        Hello GWN and other people who want to change bureaucracy,

                                        There are many obstacles to transit in our mutual interest for changing
                                        laws. Because the BATF is interested in taxation and safety, there are
                                        those of us who want to make our own fuel ethanol and really wish to
                                        cooperate with existing protocol. Production laws could be changed in a
                                        manner that benefits the economy, ecology, and self-sufficiency for
                                        individuals--especially farmers who can dedicate a portion of their
                                        crops back into bioenergy for the good of the whole. After all, they
                                        produce our FOOD when we do not have the time or space to address this
                                        basic need. Therefore, if we can enlist the help of seasoned
                                        bureaucrats to advise us on loopholes and individual states that are
                                        supportive of righteous activity for bettering the air, water, and clean
                                        fuel needs of our country, we might have a force multiplier for
                                        appropriate steps to take to make the change. If you want to get
                                        political, join a cause that can benefit the entire world, not just a
                                        hobby for indulging one's personal taste. It is not likely that a
                                        hobbyist is in danger of great retribution if no distribution is
                                        involved.

                                        Going through the steps of legalizing any effort can be easier if "a
                                        carrot" for change goes along with the process. Of course, that carrot
                                        would involve licensing, registration, or some other form of taxation.
                                        That's how the people with the power keep their jobs and these people do
                                        provide a service in standardizing quality and monitoring safety.
                                        Keeping the process from small producers is un-American.

                                        For me, the real issue is safety. Building in monitoring safeguards for
                                        small production units could be essential to acceptance. I save copies
                                        of forum entries that relate to safety and other points-of-interest in
                                        distilling that can forward small ethanol production efforts. If anyone
                                        wants to contribute individually, please feel free to contact our
                                        non-profit group. We welcome whatever help we can get to augment
                                        national independence from petroleum constraints. We need to add a few
                                        zeros behind the number of 1500 to make a national impact of 150,000 or
                                        more. Fuel ethanol could be a motivator.

                                        My talk for self-sufficiency and biodiversity was well received at the
                                        International Fuel Ethanol Workshop last month. A large number of
                                        government people attended and were made aware of the underground
                                        currents--legal or not. I'll post a notice when we get our web site up
                                        and running. Our current research efforts include cattails, elephant
                                        ears, and cactus.

                                        Just thought some of you might like an update on distilling without
                                        drinking. Best wishes,

                                        Peggy

                                        Peggy G Korth, President
                                        Water Assurance Technology Energy Resources
                                        (830) 885-7409 Voice
                                        (830) 885-7416 Fax
                                        (210) 288-0999 Cell
                                        rpk@... Email

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 17, 2004
                                          Peggy,
                                          Just for your own personal knowlege, The BATF no longer controls taxation and saftey of alcohol and tobacco. In fact, I'm not sure the BATF even exists anymore. The "Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau" also known as the "TTB" is the department that is in charge of these issues now. Here is a web page that you can explore to find out information on the federal laws about distilling alcohol... http://ttb.gov/alcohol/index.htm .
                                          Another site that has links to some interesting information about some states laws and permits for distilling alcohol is... http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/ .
                                          I am sure that plenty of you will read this information, and I am glad to share it with all of you.
                                          I would love to be a part in trying to change these laws, BUT....unfortunately, if we stood together as a group trying to change these laws, the government would probably pick us off one by one (wether it is our hobby our not).(My personal hobby includes providing fuel and spirits.) Althought I would love to know about it, if and when anyone here gets any new information concerning these laws.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 18, 2004
                                              Greetings.

                                              "If you want to get political, join a cause that can benefit the entire
                                              world, not just a
                                              hobby for indulging one's personal taste."

                                              I can't think of any reason to get involved with politics UNLESS it indulged
                                              my own personal taste.
                                              Just like EVERY other politician on the face of the Earth...

                                              "It is not likely that a hobbyist is in danger of great retribution if no
                                              distribution is involved. "

                                              I am not sure what planet you are living on but on this one there are 2
                                              rules in government that ALWAYS apply.

                                              1: Screw then whenever you can.
                                              2: Take them for as much money as you can.

                                              With a corollary: Then throw their ass in jail.

                                              But that's just my opinion...

                                              GWN

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 6, 2005
                                                . I purchased a new still from Spain. It is a hand hammered riveted
                                                copper
                                                still. On the inside they sealed the seams with a rubbery compound.
                                                What could this be. It leaves a nasty smell on my final product. Any
                                                help would be appreciated.
                                              • Bryan Ripperger
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 6, 2005
                                                  I would remove the compound and silver solder the
                                                  inside seams Bryan.
                                                  --- "William J. Clinton" <willjclinton@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > . I purchased a new still from Spain. It is a hand
                                                  > hammered riveted
                                                  > copper
                                                  > still. On the inside they sealed the seams with a
                                                  > rubbery compound.
                                                  > What could this be. It leaves a nasty smell on my
                                                  > final product. Any
                                                  > help would be appreciated.

                                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                                • pthoma_nz
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 8, 2005
                                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "William J. Clinton"
                                                    <willjclinton@h...> wrote:

                                                    > . I purchased a new still from Spain. It is a hand hammered riveted
                                                    > copper
                                                    > still. On the inside they sealed the seams with a rubbery compound.
                                                    > What could this be. It leaves a nasty smell on my final product. Any
                                                    > help would be appreciated.

                                                    How do you know its the rubbery compound??

                                                    The first couple of runs in my still cleaned it out. Run it a few
                                                    times before trying to fiddle with it. Try some of that everclear
                                                    stuff if you can get it since you will tell if its gettin better..

                                                    (I dont think they'd put something unsuitable in the still)

                                                    peet