Re: multiple columns?

  • cornfed62
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
      multiple reflux columns will work. That is a excellant way to gain
      more productivity from the same heat energy input. However, unless
      you can figure out a way to divide the reflux flow to go back down
      the individual columns, you will need to build a reflux condenser for
      each column. Unless the columns are experiencing reflux, they wont
      be giving you the product purity that you are expecting. You also
      should build the columns as long as possible. 36 or 39 inches of
      packed column section is the usual reccomended starting point.

      --- In Distillers@y..., "Bill Healey" <billhealey@s...> wrote:
      > Hello fellow spirtit enhancers:
      > Woke up this morning (night for you kiwis) with a strange
      apparition running
      > through my head. The object of this nocturnal musing, was a multi
      headed
      > column, I am having trouble with height constraints for a regular
      sized
      > column (must keep it out of sight due to draconian laws here) and
      this must
      > have precipitated the afore mentioned musing. Well to make a short
      storey
      > long, and perhaps stimulate some discussion what would happen if
      instead of
      > say a 5ft column I used 2 three foot columns? or any multiple of
      columns.
      > Besides cost & construction considerations, would this Medusa type
      > contraption work?
      > Pros and cons, has anyone tried this?
      > Before I decide to build this Pipe organ of a column(s) I'd
      appreciate some
      > input from the rest of the group. Thanks from the crazy canuk.
    • kiwi_distiller
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        Bill,

        multiple columns will get you a greater throughput, but it won't help
        with purity. They're really no different to say just having a fatter
        column. For purity, you need enough physical distance between the
        low purity and high purity ends of the column. Its the height of
        packing up the column which does the trick, not just the volume of
        packing present.

        Its an interesting point though if you're talking more about a pot
        still than a reflux column. If you were to put multiple vertical
        pipes off a pot still (coming together at the top for a common lyne
        arm & condenser), you'd be increasing the surface area generating the
        internal reflux, and hence you'd probably get a higher purity /
        lighter flavoured product, for little extra bother.

        Tony