Re: A bit of an oops with my Barley Mash

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 28, 2010
      Hi Gavin,

      If you need to re-pitch yeast in the later stages of a fermentation, it
      can be quite difficult. First off, you should always rehdrate dried
      yeast from a packet before pitching and never pitch directly into a
      feremntation.

      The best way is to make a starter batch in a large jar say a quart or
      so, add some sugar (1/8th pound or so - 2 oz.) and some nutrients (1/2
      teaspoon) along with no hotter then 110F water. Add your dried yeast
      and let sit for about 10 minutes. Cover with plastic or a cover with a
      hole and give it a shake. You can let this sit for overnight giving it
      a good shake a few times to aerate it and next day or so, you should
      have a nice starter with a good colony of yeast to pitch.

      Here are a few tips for this from E. C. Kraus:

      1. Pre-Start The Yeast. Make a wine yeast starter 1 to 2 days before you

      start the wine. This allows the yeast to hit the wine with its feet
      running -

      so to speak.

      A yeast starter is simply a mixture of sugars with a boosted level of

      nutrients, usually about 1 pint in size for every 5 gallons of wine to
      be

      made. Just mix it up, add the yeast, and allow it to do a
      mini-fermentation.

      Once the starter's fermentation starts to slow down, it is then ready to

      be added to the prepared wine batch, usually around 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 days.

      This will give you much faster results and if it is a stuck
      fermentation in the latter stages, by adding this to a small portion of
      the stuck fermentation, you should see bubbles in a few hours. Keep
      adding more of the stuck fermentation till it gets going again, provided
      there is enough sugar left..... Frankly, I have not had a stuck
      fermentation since i can remember.

      HTH.

      JB.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

      > All of that makes sense, regarding re-starting a stuck ferment by
      re-pitching the yeast and adding sugar. How do I know the batch has
      re-started? Will I get bubbling almost instantaneously when re-pitching
      in the anaerobic phase? I ask because I always pitch from the packet and
      don't use a starter, so it takes about a day for any action to happen.