multiple columns?

  • Bill Healey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hello fellow spirtit enhancers:
      Woke up this morning (night for you kiwis) with a strange apparition running
      through my head. The object of this nocturnal musing, was a multi headed
      column, I am having trouble with height constraints for a regular sized
      column (must keep it out of sight due to draconian laws here) and this must
      have precipitated the afore mentioned musing. Well to make a short storey
      long, and perhaps stimulate some discussion what would happen if instead of
      say a 5ft column I used 2 three foot columns? or any multiple of columns.
      Besides cost & construction considerations, would this Medusa type
      contraption work?
      Pros and cons, has anyone tried this?
      Before I decide to build this Pipe organ of a column(s) I'd appreciate some
      input from the rest of the group. Thanks from the crazy canuk.

    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
        multiple reflux columns will work. That is a excellant way to gain
        more productivity from the same heat energy input. However, unless
        you can figure out a way to divide the reflux flow to go back down
        the individual columns, you will need to build a reflux condenser for
        each column. Unless the columns are experiencing reflux, they wont
        be giving you the product purity that you are expecting. You also
        should build the columns as long as possible. 36 or 39 inches of
        packed column section is the usual reccomended starting point.

        --- In Distillers@y..., "Bill Healey" <billhealey@s...> wrote:
        > Hello fellow spirtit enhancers:
        > Woke up this morning (night for you kiwis) with a strange
        apparition running
        > through my head. The object of this nocturnal musing, was a multi
        headed
        > column, I am having trouble with height constraints for a regular
        sized
        > column (must keep it out of sight due to draconian laws here) and
        this must
        > have precipitated the afore mentioned musing. Well to make a short
        storey
        > long, and perhaps stimulate some discussion what would happen if
        instead of
        > say a 5ft column I used 2 three foot columns? or any multiple of
        columns.
        > Besides cost & construction considerations, would this Medusa type
        > contraption work?
        > Pros and cons, has anyone tried this?
        > Before I decide to build this Pipe organ of a column(s) I'd
        appreciate some
        > input from the rest of the group. Thanks from the crazy canuk.
      • kiwi_distiller
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 3:22 PM
          Bill,

          multiple columns will get you a greater throughput, but it won't help
          with purity. They're really no different to say just having a fatter
          column. For purity, you need enough physical distance between the
          low purity and high purity ends of the column. Its the height of
          packing up the column which does the trick, not just the volume of
          packing present.

          Its an interesting point though if you're talking more about a pot
          still than a reflux column. If you were to put multiple vertical
          pipes off a pot still (coming together at the top for a common lyne
          arm & condenser), you'd be increasing the surface area generating the
          internal reflux, and hence you'd probably get a higher purity /
          lighter flavoured product, for little extra bother.

          Tony