Ouzo

  • dlcheetham
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2002
      Hi, can anyone tell me how to make Ouzo ? Making it with an essence
      is okay, but you just can't beat the real thing. Thanks in advance.
      Dave C
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
        Dave,

        > Hi, can anyone tell me how to make Ouzo ? Making it with an essence
        > is okay, but you just can't beat the real thing. Thanks in advance.

        I should be able to let you know in a couple of weeks - I've started soaking
        some star aniseed (with a small amount of lemon rind, vanilla & fennel
        seeds) in some neutral 95% alcohol. Plan to soak it for two weeks, then
        distill off as an essence in my wee pot still. The stuff in the jar already
        smells fantastic !

        Tony
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
          See also msg. 2424 - Anise flavored spirits.
          Ouzo is the Greek equivalent to Dutch gin in that it has a complex of
          botanicals, but with anise being the predominate botanical instead of
          juniper.
          Wal
        • Jeanette Dunphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
            - I've started soaking
            > some star aniseed (with a small amount of lemon
            > rind, vanilla & fennel
            > seeds) in some neutral 95% alcohol. Plan to soak it
            > for two weeks, then

            Tony,
            I bought some star anise a few months ago. I was
            hoping to use it to make some Galiano. What I bought
            smelt awful. Is it supposed to smell a little like
            aniseed? Cause this stuff doesn't. Could be stale I
            guess.
            Anyway, I ended up going to the supermarket and buying
            some anise essence, and it has worked supurbly.
            Blended with a few drops of vanilla. HMMMMMMM>

            Jeanette

            http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
            - 1,000s of Bargains!
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2002
              Greek site about ouzo ingredients (in English):
              http://www.chios.gr/products/ouzo_en.htm

              Wal
            • vetomeyou
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
                Can someone tell me where I can find a recipe for Ouzo?
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vetomeyou"
                  <richardljohnson@s...> wrote:
                  > Can someone tell me where I can find a recipe for Ouzo?

                  Search the archives...
                  18503 Re: ouzo recipe waljaco waljaco Fri 1/23/2004
                  18502 Re: ouzo recipe waljaco waljaco Fri 1/23/2004
                  18399 ouzo recipe aptshaffer aptshaffer Mon 1/19/2004

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                    See -

                    wal