Birch Whisky

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2010
      Birch beer or wine was brewed in the Highlands, but since birch sap contains only 1.5% sugars additional sugar was added.
      There are literary references to a birch whisky, but no mention that it came from distilled birch beer.
      We know that malt for beer was sometimes dried over open fires and a German smoked beer is made from malt dried over a beechwood fire. There are also U.S. smoked beers. I have come across two references that show that in the past, malt for Scottish whisky was sometimes dried over a birch wood fire and that it was regarded as being superior to that from a peat fire. Room for experimentation.

      1829
      http://tinyurl.com/27dut7s

      1838
      http://tinyurl.com/2582xle