Re: [Distillers] Re: New member with Coffey Still Q's

  • padric@london.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2010
      Thanks slatten,
      I read that thread already, and the technical geek in me is drooling about your design and work.
      Personally,  If I was building a system like that, I'd use a Siemens or Allen Bradley PLC with probes, heat and flow controls, since I'm not even sure what a PID is:-P.

      One reason for my interest in a Coffey, is that it can make flavored spirit, or neutral depending on the temps you run at, and how many plates you use.
      Unfortunately, I don't have the time to run as much as I used to so if I can do 1 large run every couple of months, that will keep everyone happy and still allow me to age some up for later.

      How are you separating out the heads? Are you balancing your column temperature versus the head cooling? In the designs I've looked at that use a cooling point (dephlegmator), the design doesn't make sense to me because the lower boiling point heads should condense before the hearts do. If you raise the temperature of the cooling point so the hearts should condense first, do the heads seperate? Or does it give a very broad cut leaving hearts mixed in?

      My understanding of how the column works, is that the alcohols self stabilize into zones based on the temperature spread in the column, like a reflux column that has the output closed, but does taking product out not disrupt this balance? Or is the disturbance too small to really matter?

      Maybe I'm over-thinking this problem, but I have a nagging feeling that I already know how to make it work, but I'm missing something simple to put all the answers together.

      Thanks for the response,

      Paddy

      --snip--

      >Hi Paddy.
      Have been doing same testing, of continuous and it works se link.
      http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2586
      slatten

      __