Pump Observation

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2010
      I wanted to pass this along to the members because it made a real difference in my spirit run. I have been running a Little Giant pump for my cooling system and thought it quite adequate but saw a post regarding small bubbles in the cooling water stream which I noticed that I had on my system. I always had problems maintaining a good head temp, always had fluctuations and difficulties. I tried priming the system with a hose but that had no effect. I found a pump at Home Depot which was a utility pump but came with connections all the way down to 7/16" so I figured what could it hurt, give it a try, I could always return it. I hooked this thing up and my system ran rock solid for 4 hours starting at 78.1, pulled off what I thought I'd get and watched for the tails, temp went through the roof right to 96 in about ten minutes, picked up about 300 ml of crap and tossed it. This is the best run I ever had, pulled off 11 quarts of 93-95 ABV product. I might mention that I have quite a high column and that is probably the reason, most of these smaller pumps can only pump 8-10 feet and I think I was at the outer limit, the new pump has a 15' head so that's probably the reason it worked so well.

      The pump is a Flotec FP0S3000X, 4/10 hp Waterfall/Utility Pump if anyone has the same issue.
    • povinstitute
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2010
        Is there a relationship between maintaining a good head temperature and the output temperature of the condensor water?

        Jeff

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to pass this along to the members because it made a real difference in my spirit run. I have been running a Little Giant pump for my cooling system and thought it quite adequate but saw a post regarding small bubbles in the cooling water stream which I noticed that I had on my system. I always had problems maintaining a good head temp, always had fluctuations and difficulties. I tried priming the system with a hose but that had no effect. I found a pump at Home Depot which was a utility pump but came with connections all the way down to 7/16" so I figured what could it hurt, give it a try, I could always return it. I hooked this thing up and my system ran rock solid for 4 hours starting at 78.1, pulled off what I thought I'd get and watched for the tails, temp went through the roof right to 96 in about ten minutes, picked up about 300 ml of crap and tossed it. This is the best run I ever had, pulled off 11 quarts of 93-95 ABV product. I might mention that I have quite a high column and that is probably the reason, most of these smaller pumps can only pump 8-10 feet and I think I was at the outer limit, the new pump has a 15' head so that's probably the reason it worked so well.
        >
        > The pump is a Flotec FP0S3000X, 4/10 hp Waterfall/Utility Pump if anyone has the same issue.

      • geoff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010

          Hi Ebar44   ,

               I think your problem with the Little Giant was pump cavitation see this link http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/01-html/1-3.html   With a steady flow of water/coolant your condenser will work at it’s maximum but if your cooling water has air bubbles in the stream you will not get maximum cooling

               Now if you couple this with lowered pump head (i.e. how high the pump will pump the water) caused by low pump intake pressure the water volume and flow will be greatly reduced on what seems to me to be  marginal head pump for the job i.e. the Little Giant and this will cause bad heat transfer.

               If as you say in your post the Flowtec waterfall pump has rated connection right down to 7/16” you can rest assured the manufacturer will have tested inlet pipe sizes down to this size and sized and rated the pump accordingly so that cavitation doesn’t occur with this pipe size.

               Hence you can be reasonably certain you will have a smooth steady bubble free water flow(minus the bubbles) through you condenser.  This will mean an all round better condensing run, i.e. a quicker distillate collection than your usual run for, fore shots, heads, hearts and tails.  And as you can verify a steadier run i.e. a rock steady 78.1C hearts collection rate and an all round better temperature maintenance through-out the run.

               What you have drawn to everyone’s attention is you shouldn’t  under size a centrifugal water pump or cavitations occur on the low pressure side of the pump in other words don’t send a boy (i.e. the little Giant pump) to do a man’s work (i.e. the Flowtec)

               Cavitation is rarely taken in to account when thinking of head pressures for their use in the public arena because it is seldom understood

          HTH

          Geoff

        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010

            I don't believe it was pump cavitation, more likely a head issue.