Re: [Distillers] New

  • Royce Thigpen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
      Is the mash dead from the mistake or will another type of yeast work off now?

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010

        Nother note New,

        If your trying to duplicate the famous UJSSM or Uncle Jesse simple sour mash method, you should also learn about the sour mashing part and use only 5 gallons of water per the recipe.  See http://wiki.homedistiller.org/index.php/Uncle_Jesse's_Simple_Sour_Mash_Method

        JB.

        > Hello New,
        >
        > And welcome aboard. Since this is more of an advanced distillers group,
        > you migh want to consider joining our sister group at
        snip_________

      • Royce Thigpen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
          I have read some of this info.  I was looking for something simple like myself, however, I am finding out that it might not be as simple as it sounds.  Earlier, I tried to use a recipe for cooking grains and didn't have much luck with that either.  Not being a scientist, some of this stuff is hard to figure out.  But I will plug away at it until it works.  I don't want a sugar/water mash.  Anyone can do that one.  Thanks for the advice.  If you have something simple, I would gladly listen to that also.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
            Why didn't you follow the standard turbo yeast recipe? - about 12lbs sugar for 5 gallons or about 17lbs for 7 gallons.
            What went wrong? Obviously not enough sugar.
            50%abv - normally after a single pot still run. Try a fractionating column next.
            Cracked corn needs to be gelatinised and malted grain or enzymes added if you want to ferment it, otherwise it is only for flavour, as yeast can't ferment starch.
            I suggest you read homedistiller.org or all the past messages - the more you read the more you know!
            wal