New

  • Royce Thigpen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010

      New to group.  I just made a batch of fuel containing 7#’s sugar, 7#’s cracked corn, 7 gal. water, and 1 packet of turbo yeast.  Let set for 8 days.  It worked some.  Ran small amount in pot still and ended up with a little juice, 50% ABV.  What went wrong?  I know I did something wrong not sure what it was.  Desolved sugar and all.

    • just me
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010

        hi  royce. you only add sugar and water to turbos.it is a common mistake.i would advice that you use a different name and email in the future.welcome to the hobby.
        just me
        Life begins at 80. 1080 that is

      • Royce Thigpen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
          Is the mash dead from the mistake or will another type of yeast work off now?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010

            Hello New,

            When you say your making a batch of "fuel", I dont think your talking biofuel.  If you added cracked corn without any enzymes or going through a mashing process, then you ended up only fermenting 7 lbs. worth of sugar in 7 gallons of water which is a total waste of turbo yeast that can ferment upwards of 18% alcohol.

            Thats only 1 lb. of sugar per gallon which will only ferment to around a 7% ABV (alcohol by volume) wash.  Running a 7% wash through a single plate pot still with little or no reflux will only give you around a couple of liters of 40 to 50% distillate without redistilling.

            I would strongly suggest you start reading through Tony Ackland's Homedistillers site at http://homedistiller.org/ and get a basic understanding of fermentation and using grains.  Also read the section on introduction, theory and check out pot still purity for starters.

            Again, welcome aboard and consider joining our New Distillers group - we will give ya all the help you need.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo - Moderator

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <roycethigpen@...> wrote:

            > New to group.  I just made a batch of fuel containing 7#’s sugar, 7#’s cracked corn, 7 gal. water, and 1 packet of turbo yeast.  Let set for 8 days.  It worked some.  Ran small amount in pot still and ended up with a little juice, 50% ABV.  What went wrong?  I know I did something wrong not sure what it was.  Desolved sugar and all.

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010

              Nother note New,

              If your trying to duplicate the famous UJSSM or Uncle Jesse simple sour mash method, you should also learn about the sour mashing part and use only 5 gallons of water per the recipe.  See http://wiki.homedistiller.org/index.php/Uncle_Jesse's_Simple_Sour_Mash_Method

              JB.

              > Hello New,
              >
              > And welcome aboard. Since this is more of an advanced distillers group,
              > you migh want to consider joining our sister group at
              snip_________

            • Royce Thigpen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
                I have read some of this info.  I was looking for something simple like myself, however, I am finding out that it might not be as simple as it sounds.  Earlier, I tried to use a recipe for cooking grains and didn't have much luck with that either.  Not being a scientist, some of this stuff is hard to figure out.  But I will plug away at it until it works.  I don't want a sugar/water mash.  Anyone can do that one.  Thanks for the advice.  If you have something simple, I would gladly listen to that also.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Why didn't you follow the standard turbo yeast recipe? - about 12lbs sugar for 5 gallons or about 17lbs for 7 gallons.
                  What went wrong? Obviously not enough sugar.
                  50%abv - normally after a single pot still run. Try a fractionating column next.
                  Cracked corn needs to be gelatinised and malted grain or enzymes added if you want to ferment it, otherwise it is only for flavour, as yeast can't ferment starch.
                  I suggest you read homedistiller.org or all the past messages - the more you read the more you know!
                  wal