RE: [Distillers] fermenting and distilling wash in same container without racking

  • Max Montgomery
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2010
      Thanks ZBob, Interesting energy analysis and advice.  I usually run about 1/2 gal/min cooling water through the tower and this has stayed the same even with the increased kettle size.  But... I am running a higher flame rate as this is needed to keep the larger volume of wash at temperature (wash temp near bottom of kettle is 182F-ish).  After reading many of the blogs it has occurred to me that this extra energy (heat?) might be disrupting thermal layering in the tower.  I think I'll try insulating my tower (as it is bare SS) for this next run and see if I can get stablized back to 162F which will hopefully put my drippins bact to 92/93%.  Also, am planning to run w/o racking this time but this might create thermal issues by itself w/particulate heat release in the wash boil.   Will keep you updated.  Thanks again for the help.

      From: judomax625@yahoo. co.uk
      Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 23:25:51 +0000

      Hey guys, First, I'm amazed at how much info is now out there on cookin'. I've been cookin for about 10 years now with a stainless and marble reflux still. When I started there was little info on distilling.. .now it seems like everyone has a recipe or technique. Quick question. I'm going to try the MUM recipe and have recently moved into a 45gal SS still(from a previous 15gal keg)and am now wondering if I can just use my kettle as a fermenter and cook off when it's finished fermenting (without racking/clarifying) as this would physically be easier and require less containers/fermente rs? Second question. My system runs about 184-186 proof at 162F at 5400ft MSL and takes about 10hrs to run a 15gal (10% ABV)wash. Interestingly, my new kettle runs (same tower)runs about 180 proof @ 164F and finishes in about 16hrs with a 40 gal wash (10% ABV). Why? Can't quite figure this one out.