Mile Hi utility pump

  • loulenz2002
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2010
      I just received my mile hi pump and when i called them i was informed that the pump was for hi-temp applications (130F), and that the only contact material was chrome plated bronze. I need this pump for pumping wort through a chiller to a fermenter. The pump spec sheet says it's only for water use, and that it's thermally protected which means i should use it on the cold side. From what i can tell from the specs it's all stainless, chrome, and nitrile. The gasket is made from Vellumoid Paper, which is the only thing i'm unsure of. So this pump should be ok for sanitizers and beer wort with no contamination right? Does anyone use this pump?
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2010
        Lou (I'm guessing),

        What is the manufacturer and model number of your pump. If it's a March, you can find great online specs and applications at their website.
        http://www.marchpump.com/home.html?gclid=CI3AsfXI9aECFSCjiQodVEsbFw
        It seems odd that they'd sell a pump that might be used by brewers rated at only 130F.

        I've got a March polysulfone body pump with 304 stainless fittings that's rated for boiling wort, and I use it for moving all my brewing/vintning/distilling liquids.  I love it. Well, platonically...pretty much.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: loulenz2002@...
        Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:16:19 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Mile Hi utility pump

        I just received my mile hi pump and when i called them i was informed that the pump was for hi-temp applications (130F), and that the only contact material was chrome plated bronze. I need this pump for pumping wort through a chiller to a fermenter. The pump spec sheet says it's only for water use, and that it's thermally protected which means i should use it on the cold side. From what i can tell from the specs it's all stainless, chrome, and nitrile. The gasket is made from Vellumoid Paper, which is the only thing i'm unsure of. So this pump should be ok for sanitizers and beer wort with no contamination right? Does anyone use this pump?

      • Louis Lenz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
          The pump is from FMI LLC bought through Mile Hi.  Number is E235059.  FMI doesn't have a website, just a phone number, I called and got an answering machine, it was very odd.  I used to have a little giant pump that was almost exactly like the march series but the magnet broke and the pump is outta date and they don't have the parts for it anymore.  So i bought this pump because it is self priming.  I'm just not sure about the Vellumoid Paper gasket...

          From: loulenz2002@ yahoo.com
          Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:16:19 +0000

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
            Sorry that I'm no help, then. I can sure understand how that self-priming feature would be attractive. Lack of it makes my March a bit of a pain.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: loulenz2002@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:44:32 -0700

            The pump is from FMI LLC bought through Mile Hi.  Number is E235059.  FMI doesn't have a website, just a phone number, I called and got an answering machine, it was very odd.  I used to have a little giant pump that was almost exactly like the march series but the magnet broke and the pump is outta date and they don't have the parts for it anymore.  So i bought this pump because it is self priming.  I'm just not sure about the Vellumoid Paper gasket...

          • Louis Lenz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
              Here's a link I found for the vellumoid paper gasket.  It seems like it would be the first one listed.  But all the different materials listed seem like they would be ok.  What do you think?  Self priming is gonna be a nice option Bob, my little giant pump was the same as your march, and it made me a little crazy sometimes.

              To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
              From: loulenz2002@ yahoo.com
              Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:44:32 -0700