etiquette

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2002
      > As an aside, I've noticed that the couple of replies I've had
      > have come directly to me. Thanks for the information, but
      > does "Distillers" etiquette require this, or was it OK to CC
      > the list in this instance?

      Please by all means use the newsgroup for your replies, as it often sparks
      off a few more comments & questions from other members. That way we can all
      learn.

      No one's going to flame you if you do say something silly, and I for one
      would rather be corrected (gently) by someone who knows better, rather than
      carrying on under a false impression.

      The "reply to sender" mode rather than "reply to newsgroup" default is
      something Des needs to see about fixing sometime - until then, many people
      who just hit the "reply" button on the emails without checking who its going
      to will inadvertently reply just to the individual, rather than the group
      which they may have intended. I do it often myself by accident.

      There are also many members of this newsgroup, who quietly lurk on the
      fringes - enjoying reading the posts, but due to the illegality of this
      hobby in their own country, may prefer not to publicly post. In this case,
      they tend to send private replies. If this is the case, if you're going to
      CC back via the newsgroup, maybe just refer to them by first name, and edit
      the reply to remove their address.

      Tony