RE: [Distillers] how do you make a good rum

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2010
      Steve,

      I'm not really the rum expert, but I can give you some data for a decision.
      1.) Most modern sugar processes produce molasses from which most of the (fermentable) sugar has been extracted. This is important because they are first and foremost in the business of selling sugar, not molasses. Old-timey inefficient sugar processes left lots more sugars in the molasses, so that an all-molasses wash made more sense.
      2.)I've never used #1 molasses, except for maybe (who remembers that long) that time back in 1954, but that time didn't turn out well.
      3.)That depends on what you call "better". I use an agricultural-grade molasses that has *no* nitrogen additives (and I understand that may make it a rarity, although some others on the list also get it) and its flavor might classify it as extra-blackstrap. If you want *serious* rum flavor, this is a great way to do it. I confused the hell out of a hunting buddy when I passed him the bottle of my 149-proof whitedog super-blackstrap rum. He asked how it could be that it tasted thick and dark, when it was water-thin and clear. You might not care for its strong flavor, but it kinda grows on you, and that "silver" stuff tastes like aphid piss. Also, don't trust that 48% sugar; they may not all be fermentable. I use my molasses in this ratio: 10 pounds of brown sugar to 4 cups of molasses. From now on, I'll even forget the "brown" part and just use cheaper white sugar; the molasses has all the flavor I need.
      4.)"sulfured" molasses may be every bit as good as unsulfured, at least until you try to ferment it. I believe the (probably metabisulfite) will retard your fermentation, making it even slower than normal, which can also be slow.
      5.)See #1.) There's (almost) no sugar in most of it.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: sross@...
      Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:53:26 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] how do you make a good rum

      I would like to make a really good rum so I have a few questions i hope that they can be answered from the experts on this list.
      1. I have noticed many recipes require the addion of sugar is this the case because people are using blackstrap molasses with a very low sugar content.
      2. If you use #1 molasses do you still need sugar.
      3. Which would give you a better flavor blackstrap+sugar or #1 Molasses without sugar added assuming it has a 48% or better sugar content.
      4.is sulfured molasses not as good as the unsulfured.
      5. why are there so few all molasses recipes.

      Thanks
      Steve

    • Shot Man
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2010
        Good morning Zymurgy Bob,
        Do you have the White Sugar Rum in the recipes section? Currently my Rum is mostly Brown Sugar with 12 ounces of Grandma's Molasses. I only make 5 gallons as I can only run 2 1/2 gallons wash at a time. Yours sounds nice, especially the heavy Molasses taste. My wife thinks I'm a bit off when it comes to Molasses. We get some when we eat breakfast out and she puts a little on a bisquit while I eat it by the spoon full. Just a taste that appeals to me. If not posted care to give the rundown on ingrediants, and how you run? I do 2 runs with mine taking the best cuts I can measure, taste and smell. I like a little heads but just don't care for the smell or taste of much tails. I use some backset and a little trub from the previous run.
        Have a good one,
        shotman

        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2010
          I have a very simple recipe for rum that has received rave reviews. I start with 25# of sugar, 1 gallon of molasses and 11 gallons of water. I ferment with two packages of Turbo Distillers yeast. it finishes out at 16-18% then I run at a slightly higher than normal temp to keep some of the molasses flavor. I then age on toasted oak to make a nice smooth dark rum. I filter through carbon and cut top 100 proof.

          WMG

          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2010
            There is no agreed standard for rum as for some other spirits. A good rum is therefore a personal preference.
            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sross162002" <sross@...> wrote:

            > I would like to make a really good rum so I have a few questions i hope that they can be answered from the experts on this list.
            > 1. I have noticed many recipes require the addion of sugar is this the case because people are using blackstrap molasses with a very low sugar content.
            > 2. If you use #1 molasses do you still need sugar.
            > 3. Which would give you a better flavor blackstrap+sugar or #1 Molasses without sugar added assuming it has a 48% or better sugar content.
            > 4.is sulfured molasses not as good as the unsulfured.
            > 5. why are there so few all molasses recipes.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Steve

          • castillo.alex2008
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2010

              Hi Steve.  I don´t use to post anymore since most of the questions are very well answered by the moderators or some other members of this group, but I´ll take a minute of your time with some comments for this thread, partly ´cause your questions may, and in fact do have many different correct answers, and partly because somehow I see myself in you when I was beggining this hobby.  I´m from Dominican Republic and around here hooch means rum.  Comments in line...

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sross162002" <sross@...> wrote:

              > I would like to make a really good rum so I have a few questions i hope that they can be answered from the experts on this list.
              > 1. I have noticed many recipes require the addion of sugar is this the case because people are using blackstrap molasses with a very low sugar content.

              Not really.  I´ve used both just for developing new recipes.  If using only molasses I go 1 gallon blackstrap per 4 of water.  I do add nutrients, only single distill with proper, generous cuts, age with american oak (highly toasted, 1/4 cup of oak per gallon of distillate), and add or not spices.  Very important in the flavor is the use of an ester producing yeast.  Personally I use EDV 493, which is excellent.  When using sugar I use 5 lb. of brown sugar and 1/2 gallon of blackstrap and top to 23-25 liters of water.

              > 2. If you use #1 molasses do you still need sugar.

              Sorry I don´t know what is # 1 molasses, but in case it means fancy molasses I guess you should check its sugar content.  Around here most of our sugar "ingenios" are old, so they produce sugar rich molasses.

              > 3. Which would give you a better flavor blackstrap+sugar or #1 Molasses without sugar added assuming it has a 48% or better sugar content.

              Better depends on your likings, now if the question would be: Which would give you a most fiery, caribbean like flavor, then my answer would be go all molasses.

              > 4.is sulfured molasses not as good as the unsulfured.

              If you can avoid sulfur, since it is there to prevent the growing of mold, bacteria and other organisms among which you probably may list yeast.

              > 5. why are there so few all molasses recipes.

              In fact there are lots, so your question must read why are there so few all molasses recipes PUBLISHED? and what makes the difference is not the basic recipe I gave you at the beggining, but all the different methods you have to finally get your rum: adding or not spices, adding fruts like pinneapple, age in american or french oak, add feints from previous distillations which carry the bouquet from differents esters, etc.  If you are a begginer I suggest you to go with sugar and molasses and later all molasses.

              Finally, probably one of the most important ingredients in good rum is just time.  Around here everyone ages at 65% ABV for at least one year (by law) and these days... so do I!

              ¡ Que te diviertas! y ¡cuídate!

              (Have fun, and keep it safe)

              > Thanks
              > Steve

            • castillo.alex2008
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2010

                It seems to me that my first message just dissapeared so I´ll be more specific in this one.  I´m not posting that much this days, even when I frequently read, but I think that about rum you may find many answers and all of them correct; my comments in line.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sross162002" <sross@...> wrote:

                > I would like to make a really good rum so I have a few questions i hope that they can be answered from the experts on this list.
                > 1. I have noticed many recipes require the addion of sugar is this the case because people are using blackstrap molasses with a very low sugar content.

                Not really.  Probably b/c sugar is easier to get or is less expensive or does not requiere extra treatment like clarifying, if you do it.

                > 2. If you use #1 molasses do you still need sugar.

                I don´t know what # 1 sugar is, but just check its sugar content somewhere.

                > 3. Which would give you a better flavor blackstrap+sugar or #1 Molasses without sugar added assuming it has a 48% or better sugar content.

                For real caribbean rum go all molasses.
                > 4.is sulfured molasses not as good as the unsulfured.

                I woudn´t use sulfured since it is added to kill molds and bacteria and others (like yeast) in order for them not to contaminate the molasses.

                > 5. why are there so few all molasses recipes.

                Well, the question should be why I only see a few all molasses recipes, since you have lots of recipes, not for the fermenting part but for the distillation and mainly the aging part, where everything changes.  an easier one that I use is 1 gallon blackstrap per 4 gallons of water, add nutrients, aireate, ferment during 7 days, single distill with generous cuts, age at 65% ABV with american (high toasted) oak (1/4 cup per gallon of distillate), add spices and fruit (if you like), WAIT AT LEAST ONE YEAR, cut with distill water to 40%ABV and enjoy!

                ¡Que te diviertas! y ¡Cuidate!

                (Have fun and keep it safe!)

                Alex

                > Thanks
                > Steve

              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2010

                  Alex,

                  Long time no hear from buddy.  Nice to see you back!

                  Anyways stop by sometimes and say hi.

                  JB.

                  and yes, your first message came thru and you can delete it if you want (or I can).  Also yes, #1 molasses usually means 1st run fancy stuff.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                  > It seems to me that my first message just dissapeared so I´ll be more
                  > specific in this one. I´m not posting that much this days, even when
                  > I frequently read, but I think that about rum you may find many answers
                  > and all of them correct; my comments in line.
                  \____snip

                • running_with_rum39
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2010
                    A good taste of the dark and dirty. I just finished off a nice dark rum tonight. I started with a simple white sugar wash, ran it of a little hot about 80 C and ended up with a product about 92%. Toned it down to an over proof of 60%, run it through 4' of carbon then added
                    5 ml of each to 500ml love water.
                    -black strap molasses
                    -Carmel flavouring
                    -home made oak essence
                    -One bottle of Flor dearma Rum
                    One day from wash to rum you have to love this hobby!

                    > Alex,
                    >
                    > Long time no hear from buddy. Nice to see you back!
                    >
                    > Last week we had a similar question in New Distillers on rum - see the
                    > thread starting with
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/38647
                    > going to email you to see if you were still around.
                    >
                    > Anyways stop by sometimes and say hi.
                    >
                    > JB.
                    >
                    > and yes, your first message came thru and you can delete it if you want
                    > (or I can). Also yes, #1 molasses usually means 1st run fancy stuff.
                    >
                    > PS> BTW people, Alex really knows his stuff!
                    >
                    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------\
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
                    > <castillo.alex2008@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > It seems to me that my first message just dissapeared so I´ll be
                    > more
                    > > specific in this one. I´m not posting that much this days, even
                    > when
                    > > I frequently read, but I think that about rum you may find many
                    > answers
                    > > and all of them correct; my comments in line.
                    > \____snip

                  • castillo.alex2008
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2010
                      Hey Jim!

                      Yep! been busy during all these months taking care of my newborn baby! You must know what that means, waking up in the middle of the night to feed him, but also the happiness and endless nice times! In the other hand with near 12 gallons of rum aging and some 4 of whisky and rum in use I´m no longer distilling, but probably next month I´ll try a recipe using rice, corn and 6 row for a whiskey.

                      Seldom posting, always reading!

                      see you around!

                      A!
                    • jamesonbeam1
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 19, 2010
                        Well hell man,

                        Congrats and congrats! Looks like you'll be going thru all that hootch
                        faster than ya think, so better git too it daddyo.

                        JB,