Re: Closed loop cooling system

  • bob
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010

      I like the simplicity of your system where it starts on ground level then goes up the condensing coils and then the gravity helps the coolant go through the radiator and finally back in the storage tank. Simple always seems to be the least problem. I was thinking of taking a room air conditioner’s evaporator coils out and putting them down inside a 55 gallon drum to cool the water. Might work? Bob c

    • Peter Huisman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010
        "I tried it a few years ago, didn't work too bad but had trouble
        balancing everything and getting the air out"

        A "closed" system would be a bit of a task, but a simple system
        comprising a storage drum (200lts), fish pond pump (reasonable output)
        and associated tubing to and from the condenser coil works fine for me.
        Boiling off 2 x 12 ltr washes one after the other still warms the water
        somewhat, but eventually I will add a radiator and fan. Water is precious.
      • Ed Barcik
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2010

          Quite honestly, I thought a closed loop system was one that kept the existing water circulating without a vessel to hole any water. As I mentioned in my previous post, I tried a system like that and it worked quite well but could not get all the air evacuated and went back to the system with a holding tank. My present system uses about 8 gallons of water, more or less and a heat exchanger and a small transmission oil cooler, I can run the system and keep the coolant at 70+F and less than 80 all day long. No ice, no additional water, works like a charm. I think I've tried most different ways of cooling and this has certainly been the best.