Re: Closed loop cooling system

  • harisaki2004
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2010
      Yes, I use a closed loop system on my reflux rig.
      The vital ingredient is a radiator. The one I found at the scrap metal dealers. After several searches I found just the one! It is out of a cool room system. Dimension are about 1200 x 300 x 400 mm. It also included a 240V fan and some aluminium sides to guide the air through.
      The first thing to look for is the coolant tube diameter. The one I found was about 15mm diameter. This is a good size with little resistance compared with the dia. in radiators in domestic air-conditioners for instance.

      Next a suitable pump. Mine I found on EBAY is submersible and is 60W capacity. It has a 20mm outlet.
      Then a container to hold some water. For a reflux unit about 50-100 Litres is OK.
      Water flow is from the tank at ground level, through the overhead reflux condensers through the radiator and drops back to tank.

      I have had it running for about 4 years without issue.

      Any questions.??

      Hari.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "elvis_resides" <elvis_resides@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone, is anyone using a closed loop cooling system? I need some plans to build such a system.

    • Ed Barcik
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2010

        I tried it a few years ago, didn't work too bad but had trouble balancing everything and getting the air out

      • bob
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010

          I like the simplicity of your system where it starts on ground level then goes up the condensing coils and then the gravity helps the coolant go through the radiator and finally back in the storage tank. Simple always seems to be the least problem. I was thinking of taking a room air conditioner’s evaporator coils out and putting them down inside a 55 gallon drum to cool the water. Might work? Bob c

        • Peter Huisman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2010
            "I tried it a few years ago, didn't work too bad but had trouble
            balancing everything and getting the air out"

            A "closed" system would be a bit of a task, but a simple system
            comprising a storage drum (200lts), fish pond pump (reasonable output)
            and associated tubing to and from the condenser coil works fine for me.
            Boiling off 2 x 12 ltr washes one after the other still warms the water
            somewhat, but eventually I will add a radiator and fan. Water is precious.
          • Ed Barcik
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2010

              Quite honestly, I thought a closed loop system was one that kept the existing water circulating without a vessel to hole any water. As I mentioned in my previous post, I tried a system like that and it worked quite well but could not get all the air evacuated and went back to the system with a holding tank. My present system uses about 8 gallons of water, more or less and a heat exchanger and a small transmission oil cooler, I can run the system and keep the coolant at 70+F and less than 80 all day long. No ice, no additional water, works like a charm. I think I've tried most different ways of cooling and this has certainly been the best.