newbie

  • jeweler53
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 9:53 AM
      I built a reflux still with a column about 3 ft. I used small glass marbles as the medium (about 3/8"). It seems to be working way to well. I hear a "rattling" in the column as if the column is full of liquid and only the top is boiling. Do I need smaller marbles? Less of them?

      I am actually getting "back pressure" in the pot.

      Dick
    • just me
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 12:16 PM
        you will get a better product using copper mesh.
        just me
        Life begins at 80. 1080 that is.

      • Peter Huisman
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 6:00 PM
          Stainless steel (or copper) pot scrubbers have an extremely high surface
          area and are recommended for the columns of reflux stills.

          A metre long x 50mm diameter (40" x 2") column is recommended to be
          packed with 17 or so scrubbers.

          SS scrubbers cost around $2 for 6 from 2 dollar shops. In their original
          shape (not unrolled), pack them into the column using a broom handle
          with a 40mm disk screwed across the end. Slide 1 into the column from
          the bottom end then push gently until it reaches the (Nixon Stone)
          condenser takeoff. The rest are then inserted 2 or 3 at a time until
          resistance is felt. They always almost fill the column. To remove them
          for cleaning, fish them out using a length of wire with a small hook
          bent at one end.

          The scrubbers eventually "knit" together, so before re-inserting them,
          just cut them apart using scissors.

          For tech type info look at Tony Ackland's site:

          Home Distillation of Alcohol >Theory >Reflux Still Design Theory
          >Packing HETPs

          Lots of questions answered there.