Re: [Distillers] putting methenol into petrol tank?

  • Keith Addison
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2002
      >have any of you ever saveed up ya methenol and put it into ya car, im
      >gunna experiment with it in an old engine, but what do you fellas know
      >about it?

      Very corrosive.

      "But some cars run entirely on another fluid. Methanol is the only
      fuel that the Indy car will drink. As we said before, the internals
      of the engine have a lot to do with the fuel it burns and this is
      true in spades here. The pure methol alcohol is highly corrosive to
      some metals. It can turn aluminum into a white powdery mess that
      resembles baking soda in very short order. Plus it mixes very well
      with water so anything steel will rust overnight. The internals of
      the entire fuel system has to be Teflon and stainless steel and even
      the fuel bladder in the car has to be made from a special compound,
      the valve seats have to be brass.

      *The corrosion problem means that none is left in the engine
      overnight -- even the cylinder walls if steel, have to be fogged with
      oil so they won't rust for even the shortest of storage time*.

      Sounds like pretty bad stuff with a lot of negatives. Oh yeah, I
      almost forgot it only has about half the heat energy of gasoline so a
      regular race car that would get 4 miles to the gallon of gas goes
      only 2 miles on methanol that's not quite a full lap of the
      Indianapolis Race Track of 2.5 miles.

      "So why even consider this stuff as a race fuel? Well remember the
      octane thing and its tie to performance, well methanol has an
      incredibly high natural octane in its pure form."

      http://www.racerchicks.com/auto/q_and_a/fueracel.html

      And the high octane rating means it needs very high compression ratios.

      See also:
      http://www.bera1.org/LA-buses.html
      Los Angeles Evaluation of Methanol- and Ethanol-Fueled Buses

      Now if your old engine happened to be a diesel, you could use the
      methanol and waste cooking oil to make biodiesel for it and use it as
      a generator, no more power bills. But that would take quite a lot of
      methanol.

      Best wishes

      Keith Addison