Re: Baseboard Fins in a condenser - Safe?

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Bornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

      > No one said that magnets work on stainless.
      >
      > However, in actuality, many lower grades of "stainless" are ferromagnetic to differing degrees.

      Work hardening can also increase the magnetism of stainless steel. While its magnetism tends to be relatively slight, grades with higher work hardening rates exhibit higher levels of magnetic capacity after treatment.

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010

        > Work hardening can also increase the magnetism of stainless steel. While its magnetism tends to be relatively slight, grades with higher work hardening rates exhibit higher levels of magnetic capacity after treatment.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        304SS wire will draw to a magnet after being wound to a spring(work hardening at work). Some worse than others. First hand experience with that one. 316SS doesnt seem to be susceptible.

        Mason
      • slipthruthecracks
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
          Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube. The entire finned assembly would be trimmed to fit into a larger copper tube which would be the head of my column. Think of Harry's X-flow condenser with the finned assembly inside rather than the dozen or so small tubes. So the vapor would be in contact with the fins which are absorbing the heat of the vapor and transferring it to the coolant passing through the inner copper tube.

          I have the section of finned baseboard laying here after a home renovation and hate to see it go to waste. Instead of using it for an air cooled product condenser, my twisted brain started thinking about putting it at the top of a combo LM/VM column in a similar fashion to the x-flow head that has received so many kudos in the last year or so. I am just a little concerned about the material. If it is stainless, I am not too concerned. If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

          OneEyedJack

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <km_services@...> wrote:

          > I have looked at the photo's and it would appear that they are providing air
          > cooling to a copper product line and if that is the case I can not see that
          > your product is in contact with the aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash in
          > aluminium pot I see no problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or
          > glass fermenter.
          >

          > Ken Mc

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010

            I would advise against that with Aluminium if copper or stainless steel fins would be ok

            Ken Mc

            Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube. The entire finned assembly would be trimmed to fit into a larger copper tube which would be the head of my column. Think of Harry's X-flow condenser with the finned assembly inside rather than the dozen or so small tubes. So the vapor would be in contact with the fins which are absorbing the heat of the vapor and transferring it to the coolant passing through the inner copper tube.

            I have the section of finned baseboard laying here after a home renovation and hate to see it go to waste. Instead of using it for an air cooled product condenser, my twisted brain started thinking about putting it at the top of a combo LM/VM column in a similar fashion to the x-flow head that has received so many kudos in the last year or so. I am just a little concerned about the material. If it is stainless, I am not too concerned. If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

            OneEyedJack

            --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Ken" <km_services@ ...> wrote:

            > I have looked at the photo's and it would appear that they are providing
            air
            > cooling to a copper product line and if that is the case I can not see
            that
            > your product is in contact with the aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash
            in
            > aluminium pot I see no problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or
            > glass fermenter.
            >

            > Ken Mc

          • Steve Spence
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
              Especially something that may use leaded solder.

              Steve Spence
              Renewable energy and self sufficiency
              http://www.green-trust.org
              http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipthruthecracks" <slipthruthecracks@...> wrote:

                > Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube.

                <snip>

                If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

                > OneEyedJack

                DON'T! It is aluminum finned. Aluminum and boiling point ethanol vapors DO NOT PLAY NICE. It will corrode to powder in short order. Apart from health issues from ingesting the results, the thing won't work as a heat exchanger any more, so you'll have to build another replacement. Read my paper on metals here...

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Harry,

                  I wouldn't say it corrodes in short order. I've used aluminum convector pipes as reflux condensers for some 30++ runs and they show no signs of corrosion. The shine goes away but no corrosion. In principle it should be safe even as the product condenser, but with all the bad rap aluminum gets I feel more comfortable with copper personally.

                  Slainte, Riku

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 11, 2010

                    > Harry,
                    >
                    > I wouldn't say it corrodes in short order. I've used aluminum convector pipes as reflux condensers for some 30++ runs and they show no signs of corrosion. The shine goes away but no corrosion. In principle it should be safe even as the product condenser, but with all the bad rap aluminum gets I feel more comfortable with copper personally.
                    >
                    > Slainte, Riku

                    Which side did you have the vapor? Inside the pipe, or outside contacting the fins?

                  • slipthruthecracks
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 12, 2010
                      Thanks, Harry. That's the kind of definitive answer I was looking for. I think even more to the point was Ken's caution about leaded solder. I really don't know what kind of solder was used in this assembly and I hadn't considered it until Ken mentioned it.

                      So, this will become a cooling radiator for my hot return coolant. After running through the condenser, I will run the water through the finned radiator tube with a fan blowing on it to cool down the water as it returns to the reservoir. I use a 20 gal bucket to pump my cooling water from and replace the water in the bucket as it heats up. I usually use only 20 gals for a 5 gal stripping run and 40 for a longer spirit run. So the tubing won't go to waste but I won't be so clever with it as I thought.

                      I appreciate all the feedback and all I have learned while reading here for a few years.

                      Jack

                      > DON'T! It is aluminum finned. Aluminum and boiling point ethanol vapors DO NOT PLAY NICE. It will corrode to powder in short order. Apart from health issues from ingesting the results, the thing won't work as a heat exchanger any more, so you'll have to build another replacement. Read my paper on metals here...
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Inside the pipe, the fins are really quite thin so that could be a problem in prolonged use if the vapor was outside.

                        Slainte, Riku