Re: [Distillers] Baseboard Fins in a condenser - Safe?

  • Bryan Bornais
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
      post pics of the material. My personal speculative opinion is no way. The two safest materials for vapour contact are copper and stainless; copper being the better of the two for conduction and sulfur scrubbing properties.

      If it is copper, then that is obvious.
      If it is stainless, that is less obvious. Start by placing a magnet onto it.
      If it is alluminum, it is not ferromagnetic either and should be fairly light.

      If it is anything else, you may be poisoning yourself. If you are concerned, then that is the biggest clue as to whether or not you should risk your health.

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
        Ok, I created an album in the photos section titled OneEyedJack and tried to upload 2 photos there. Once they are modded they should be available for viewing.

        A little more investigation shows they are not magnetic. An online search found that at least one major manufacturer uses aluminum for the fins they put around the copper tubing. The material is very light weight. I am assuming these are also aluminum.

        If they are, should I forget the whole idea? I am concerned about my health and that is why I am asking the question.

        Jack

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Bornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

        > post pics of the material. My personal speculative opinion is no way. The two safest materials for vapour contact are copper and stainless; copper being the better of the two for conduction and sulfur scrubbing properties.
        >
        > If it is copper, then that is obvious.
        > If it is stainless, that is less obvious. Start by placing a magnet onto it.
        > If it is alluminum, it is not ferromagnetic either and should be fairly light.
        >
        > If it is anything else, you may be poisoning yourself. If you are concerned, then that is the biggest clue as to whether or not you should risk your health.
      • roger shattuck
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
          Aluminum will put the taste off. I ruined some beer using an aluminum pot.

          Ok, I created an album in the photos section titled OneEyedJack and tried to upload 2 photos there. Once they are modded they should be available for viewing.

          A little more investigation shows they are not magnetic. An online search found that at least one major manufacturer uses aluminum for the fins they put around the copper tubing. The material is very light weight. I am assuming these are also aluminum.

          If they are, should I forget the whole idea? I am concerned about my health and that is why I am asking the question.

          Jack

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Bornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

          > post pics of the material. My personal speculative opinion is no way. The two safest materials for vapour contact are copper and stainless; copper being the better of the two for conduction and sulfur scrubbing properties.
          >
          > If it is copper, then that is obvious.
          > If it is stainless, that is less obvious. Start by placing a magnet onto it.
          > If it is alluminum, it is not ferromagnetic either and should be fairly light.
          >
          > If it is anything else, you may be poisoning yourself. If you are concerned, then that is the biggest clue as to whether or not you should risk your health.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010

            Try posting the photo’s again I can not see them there to approve?

            Ken Mc

            Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

            Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
              I shrank them a bit and tried again Ken. I think they were successfully uploaded, Thanks.

              Jack

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <km_services@...> wrote:

              > Try posting the photo's again I can not see them there to approve?
              >

              > Ken Mc
            • slipthruthecracks
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                I was wondering about flavor, but more about anything harmful. Although I heat and boil DW's Wheatgerm recipe in an aluminum stock pot, I have never had anything but very good tasting whiskey from that after double distilling in my potstill which is a converted SS keg boiler.

                However, I was concerned that in this case, it would be the alcohol vapors that would be in contact with what now I am assuming are aluminum fins. If they are aluminum, should I expect that the vapors may be corrosive or otherwise chemically interact with the fins to put nasties in the product?

                Jack

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                  I am surprised that you would say that you get off taste in your beer, Roger.

                  I brewed with an aluminum pot for years with no problems whatsoever.

                  Even when the pot was new, or was heavily cleaned, I detected no off flavours that could be attributed to the pot.

                  Aluminum is fine for brewing as it forms a passivated layer of aluminum oxide that is non reactive. You can see this layer form in the dulling of the pot after using it for a short while.

                  Perhaps you changed another parameter when you upgraded your brewing setup that was unrelated to the pot, but helped some undefined problem in your brewing process.

                  John Palmer is another advocate (or at least has no problem) with brewing in aluminum pots, and he is a metallurgist and reputable brewer (ref. How to Brew)

                  My concern with the multiple metal combination described is the presence of some other brazing or soldering material that can be potentially deleterious to your health.

                  These fins are too questionable to bother with. Use some coiled 1/4in copper tubing instead.

                      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /join

                      Distillers-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010

                      I have looked at the photo’s and it would appear that they are providing air cooling to a copper product line and if that is the case I can not see that your product is in contact with the aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash in aluminium pot I see no problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or glass fermenter.

                      Ken Mc

                      I was wondering about flavor, but more about anything harmful. Although I heat and boil DW's Wheatgerm recipe in an aluminum stock pot, I have never had anything but very good tasting whiskey from that after double distilling in my potstill which is a converted SS keg boiler.

                      However, I was concerned that in this case, it would be the alcohol vapors that would be in contact with what now I am assuming are aluminum fins. If they are aluminum, should I expect that the vapors may be corrosive or otherwise chemically interact with the fins to put nasties in the product?

                      Jack

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, roger shattuck <happy.feat@ ...> wrote:

                      > Aluminum will put the taste off. I ruined some beer using an aluminum pot.

                    • Derek Hamlet
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                        At 13:54 09/04/2010, you wrote:

                        >I have looked at the photo's and it would appear that they are
                        >providing air cooling to a copper product line and if that is the
                        >case I can not see that your product is in contact with the
                        >aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash in aluminium pot I see no
                        >problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or glass fermenter.

                        Back in the day, fifty some odd years ago, we were po' and so made
                        our own beer and wine. We used plastic garbage cans and plastic
                        secondary fermenters. The secondarys were food grade, whatever that
                        meant. But, you know over time they went from transluscent to
                        cloudy. Hmm. But, they were food grade so it must have been okay.
                        Over time we switched to glass secondaries, oak barrels and all the
                        other good stuff.
                        Then along came Nalgene bottles. Good stuff they told us. No broken
                        glass and didn't make your water taste like camel had peed in it like
                        our old aluminum hiking canteens. Now all of a sudden we are told
                        that Nalgene bottles do actually leach part of their body parts into
                        the water. Ooops. Now, of course, it's all about stainless.
                        So, I guess I have a somewhat jaundiced view of what some of the
                        "experts" tell us.
                        Personally I do not like the effect that some chemicals have on
                        aluminum. Studies show there is no relationship to aluminum ions and
                        my shrinking brain. I hope so.
                        For distilling I like copper because of its effect on removing
                        sulphur compounds. I use glass for storage. I'd love a copper
                        boiler, but alas I'm a mixture of not as rich as I'd like to be and
                        very frugal. So I use a stainless beer keg.
                        Of course we will all learn that while we weren't looking every
                        stainless producer in N. America offshored the production of
                        stainless and that somewhere down the road those damn foreign devils
                        started using legs of frongs and eyes of newt in the production.
                        Oh well, I'm guessing my liver is going to give out before my brain.

                        Derek
                      • Rufus
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                          Hey cracks, ferrous magnets don't work on stainless either- so it's not a good test for deciding between Al or SSteel

                          Regards,

                          iPhone
                        • Bryan Bornais
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                            No one said that magnets work on stainless.

                            However, in actuality, many lower grades of "stainless" are ferromagnetic to differing degrees.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010
                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Bornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

                              > No one said that magnets work on stainless.
                              >
                              > However, in actuality, many lower grades of "stainless" are ferromagnetic to differing degrees.

                              Work hardening can also increase the magnetism of stainless steel. While its magnetism tends to be relatively slight, grades with higher work hardening rates exhibit higher levels of magnetic capacity after treatment.

                            • rye_junkie1
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 9, 2010

                                > Work hardening can also increase the magnetism of stainless steel. While its magnetism tends to be relatively slight, grades with higher work hardening rates exhibit higher levels of magnetic capacity after treatment.
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                                304SS wire will draw to a magnet after being wound to a spring(work hardening at work). Some worse than others. First hand experience with that one. 316SS doesnt seem to be susceptible.

                                Mason
                              • slipthruthecracks
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
                                  Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube. The entire finned assembly would be trimmed to fit into a larger copper tube which would be the head of my column. Think of Harry's X-flow condenser with the finned assembly inside rather than the dozen or so small tubes. So the vapor would be in contact with the fins which are absorbing the heat of the vapor and transferring it to the coolant passing through the inner copper tube.

                                  I have the section of finned baseboard laying here after a home renovation and hate to see it go to waste. Instead of using it for an air cooled product condenser, my twisted brain started thinking about putting it at the top of a combo LM/VM column in a similar fashion to the x-flow head that has received so many kudos in the last year or so. I am just a little concerned about the material. If it is stainless, I am not too concerned. If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

                                  OneEyedJack

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <km_services@...> wrote:

                                  > I have looked at the photo's and it would appear that they are providing air
                                  > cooling to a copper product line and if that is the case I can not see that
                                  > your product is in contact with the aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash in
                                  > aluminium pot I see no problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or
                                  > glass fermenter.
                                  >

                                  > Ken Mc

                                • Ken
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010

                                    I would advise against that with Aluminium if copper or stainless steel fins would be ok

                                    Ken Mc

                                    Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube. The entire finned assembly would be trimmed to fit into a larger copper tube which would be the head of my column. Think of Harry's X-flow condenser with the finned assembly inside rather than the dozen or so small tubes. So the vapor would be in contact with the fins which are absorbing the heat of the vapor and transferring it to the coolant passing through the inner copper tube.

                                    I have the section of finned baseboard laying here after a home renovation and hate to see it go to waste. Instead of using it for an air cooled product condenser, my twisted brain started thinking about putting it at the top of a combo LM/VM column in a similar fashion to the x-flow head that has received so many kudos in the last year or so. I am just a little concerned about the material. If it is stainless, I am not too concerned. If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

                                    OneEyedJack

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Ken" <km_services@ ...> wrote:

                                    > I have looked at the photo's and it would appear that they are providing
                                    air
                                    > cooling to a copper product line and if that is the case I can not see
                                    that
                                    > your product is in contact with the aluminium fins? As to prepping a wash
                                    in
                                    > aluminium pot I see no problem as long as it is fermented in a plastic or
                                    > glass fermenter.
                                    >

                                    > Ken Mc

                                  • Steve Spence
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
                                      Especially something that may use leaded solder.

                                      Steve Spence
                                      Renewable energy and self sufficiency
                                      http://www.green-trust.org
                                      http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 10, 2010
                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipthruthecracks" <slipthruthecracks@...> wrote:

                                        > Ken, but I am thinking about using this in a reverse fashion to what you are thinking. Rather than run the product through the copper tube, I intend to run coolant through the copper tube.

                                        <snip>

                                        If it is aluminum, then I am asking the group for its collective wisdom about using the section of baseboard in this fashion.

                                        > OneEyedJack

                                        DON'T! It is aluminum finned. Aluminum and boiling point ethanol vapors DO NOT PLAY NICE. It will corrode to powder in short order. Apart from health issues from ingesting the results, the thing won't work as a heat exchanger any more, so you'll have to build another replacement. Read my paper on metals here...

                                      • abbababbaccc
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 11, 2010
                                          Harry,

                                          I wouldn't say it corrodes in short order. I've used aluminum convector pipes as reflux condensers for some 30++ runs and they show no signs of corrosion. The shine goes away but no corrosion. In principle it should be safe even as the product condenser, but with all the bad rap aluminum gets I feel more comfortable with copper personally.

                                          Slainte, Riku

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 11, 2010

                                            > Harry,
                                            >
                                            > I wouldn't say it corrodes in short order. I've used aluminum convector pipes as reflux condensers for some 30++ runs and they show no signs of corrosion. The shine goes away but no corrosion. In principle it should be safe even as the product condenser, but with all the bad rap aluminum gets I feel more comfortable with copper personally.
                                            >
                                            > Slainte, Riku

                                            Which side did you have the vapor? Inside the pipe, or outside contacting the fins?

                                          • slipthruthecracks
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 12, 2010
                                              Thanks, Harry. That's the kind of definitive answer I was looking for. I think even more to the point was Ken's caution about leaded solder. I really don't know what kind of solder was used in this assembly and I hadn't considered it until Ken mentioned it.

                                              So, this will become a cooling radiator for my hot return coolant. After running through the condenser, I will run the water through the finned radiator tube with a fan blowing on it to cool down the water as it returns to the reservoir. I use a 20 gal bucket to pump my cooling water from and replace the water in the bucket as it heats up. I usually use only 20 gals for a 5 gal stripping run and 40 for a longer spirit run. So the tubing won't go to waste but I won't be so clever with it as I thought.

                                              I appreciate all the feedback and all I have learned while reading here for a few years.

                                              Jack

                                              > DON'T! It is aluminum finned. Aluminum and boiling point ethanol vapors DO NOT PLAY NICE. It will corrode to powder in short order. Apart from health issues from ingesting the results, the thing won't work as a heat exchanger any more, so you'll have to build another replacement. Read my paper on metals here...
                                              >

                                              > Slainte!
                                              > regards Harry

                                            • abbababbaccc
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 12, 2010
                                                Inside the pipe, the fins are really quite thin so that could be a problem in prolonged use if the vapor was outside.

                                                Slainte, Riku