Re: Hello All

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2010
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richc@...> wrote:

      > My question of the day: Does anyone else use food-grade calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) to adjust ph when using back-set? I get much better ferments if I add one tbsp. to a 6 gallon wash 24 hours after the yeast starts.
      > Any advice?
      > thanx,
      > rich

      What you're doing is raising the pH to compensate for the natural lowering caused by yeast activity during fermentation.

      A better approach is to measure the pH with a meter (they're cheap) before you pitch the yeast. Adjust the wort as necessary with acid (backset or lemon) or base (your pickling lime) to get it between pH5 & 5.5
      Then pitch the yeast.