Hello All

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2010
      Just thought I'd say hello since I've decided to start posting here.
      I have one of those outdated Mile-Hi CM stills with the reflux collar.
      I run cereal washes using C&B distillers yeast and an occasional rye malt (store bought) run.
      These generally come out good (for sugar likker). Only been runnin since last fall but I drink my own.
      This still (the 30 inch one) sits on a 8 gallon steel milk can so you can see that this is really a hobby.
      Anyway, the head will run under (almost) full reflux for equalizing. I sometimes run heads for over an hour and get only 1/4 pint in a cleared 6 gallon charge at @7-8 abv. Great compression, in other words.
      Fully packed with copper mesh, it makes a great clean neutral. I like to try for some flavor, so I generally run it with only one roll of mesh.
      Tip of the week: When rolling up your copper mesh for packing, tie it with light copper wire. Much easier to handle!
      I know that some have issues with the gum rubber stopper that hold my thermo. I don't. The same folks take exception to the silicone gasket in the lid and tri-clamp. No deterioration in any of these areas. No leaks at all!
      My question of the day: Does anyone else use food-grade calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) to adjust ph when using back-set? I get much better ferments if I add one tbsp. to a 6 gallon wash 24 hours after the yeast starts.
      Any advice?
      thanx,
      rich
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2010
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richc@...> wrote:

        > My question of the day: Does anyone else use food-grade calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) to adjust ph when using back-set? I get much better ferments if I add one tbsp. to a 6 gallon wash 24 hours after the yeast starts.
        > Any advice?
        > thanx,
        > rich

        What you're doing is raising the pH to compensate for the natural lowering caused by yeast activity during fermentation.

        A better approach is to measure the pH with a meter (they're cheap) before you pitch the yeast. Adjust the wort as necessary with acid (backset or lemon) or base (your pickling lime) to get it between pH5 & 5.5
        Then pitch the yeast.