Re: Harry's peat reek

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richc@...> wrote:

      > Anyone have a link to Harry's method for peat reek?

      extracted from msg 27677

      > Should I peat some of the malt?

      and add it to the wash then distill. Beats the hell out of trying
      to smoke-dry malted grain. Careful, a little goes a long way. Get
      a handful, put it in a tin with a lid (Arnott's biscuit tin is
      ideal). Put the tin on the stove ring and gently heat it (like you
      were simmering water) for about 20 minutes. It'll stink up the
      house so make sure you've got good ventilation & the wife is out for
      the day. Let it cool for half an hour BEFORE you remove the lid
      (otherwise you introduce air which may cause it to ignite). Then
      stir in a cupful of ethanol, or saved heads/tails, then strain the
      mix through a strainer. Filter the liquid through funnel and paper
      towelling. I use about half this fluid in a 20 litre distillation.
      If you think the results are too strong, you can always cut your
      final product with some neutral alcohol @ 50%abv.

      Is so, can you tell me where in
      > Cairns I can buy some peat?

      bag. It's sedge peat from northern NSW. Doesn't contain added
      fertilizers. Most others do.

      Addendum:
      You can also add it directly to your finished product (drinking strength). But be careful...IT IS POTENT. start with 5ml (tsp) per 750ml bottle. More if you like. Cut with non-flavoured product if too strong.

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2010
        Thanks for your time, Harry.