Re: [Distillers] I'm looking to utilise waste heat from boiling process

  • Bryan Bornais
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2010
      research immersion wort chillers for beer brewing. They are to cool the boiled wort quickly.

      If you are distilling, then the heat waste from your spent wash can be utilized to preheat your dilute sugar solution. Just hook up two wort chillers (one in the spent wash, the other in the fruit wash) with a march pump in between, and they will equilibrate to a temp in between.

      It would be most efficient, however, to boost your gravity with sugar to the OG that you desire prior to fermentation, instead of boiling. Boiling can cause off flavours through Maillard reactions. You may find that fermenting at the lower gravity, or boosting the gravity are tastier and more efficient options.