RE: [Distillers] Re: lets talk business

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10, 2010

      http://tinyurl.com/ydf38fa follow this link to posting I made on New distillers re winding a coil

      Zak,

      If the smell is stubborn then do a basic check of your procedures:

      1. I do not know  what kind of wash you use, but at the completion of the ferment did it smell pleasant and wine like?
      2. Did you let the wash settle out and/or use a clearing agent and rack off the spent yeast and nutrients? A dirty wash going to a boiler can cook the particles in suspension and once that smell is in the alcohol is a bugger to get rid of…kind of like a stew that has caught in the pan
      3. Were your still /head and condensers clean?
      4.  How fast did you run the distill?…speed can kill and too much heat will cook anything that catches.
      5. Carbon filtering will remove normal fusels and other odd things in your wash, but will not remove burnt smells/tastes etc also you must filter through saturated carbon and at no more than 50%ABV

      Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2010
        Dear Ken,
        I appreciate your time spent on replying to me. My wash consists of plain sugar 5 kilos and yeast 150 grams. I do not get to buy brewers yeast. So I manage with bakers yeast.
        I do take great care in sterlizing all the material before fermentation. I do not use any clearing agent, but I make it a point only the upper most or clearest part of the fermented wash. I throw away all sediments since its a mess holding it further batches.( Mine is a highly clandestine operation as you know ).I then distill it using a pressure cooker thats attached to a serpentine copper cooling coil immersed in a bucket of ice cubes. The final distillate is run through a PVC ! inch pipe  (about  8 inches long )thats loaded with activated charcoal
        The pungent smell is reduced to a certain extent if i add a few chips of cinnamon to the bottle of final distillate and let it soak for a day or so.
        I figured out a way to make a decent copper cooling coil and was happy with the results.
        I bought a length of copper ( 10 feet ) the shop keeper gave it to me in a card board box,coiled up.

        I introduced a 4"PVC pipe of about one feet into the centre of the copper coil. Holding on to one end of the copper tube, I slowly started winding the already coiled tube in the same direction of the coil. In other words i was just making the coil tighter, or reducing its circumference. When I was done with about 8 feet of the coil I stopped. I straightened the balance 2 feet and made an adaption to connect to the tube from the lid of the pressure cooker.
        It was very simple and I needed no helping hand( no filling with salt or water ).But the whole procedure was explained to me by another guy who does AC ducting for split units and AC repairing. Pass on this info to any of our group members who are in need of a well finished copper cooling coils and cant get professional help in making one.
        BTW, Ken... Please, can you send me a design of a REFLUX still thats not too complicated and can be made with little help?

        My advice to all who are doing this discreetly,  specially in Saudi Arabia or Qatar,please do not be over confident or share you hobby with anyone. No one is planning to get you an award for this great art that went unrecognized. Keep it a secret and enjoy it whilst HELPING others enjoy it too....