Re: Distilling related - Really! Honest

  • rosnekcaj
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
      You say 40 lbs of torque. Is that inch-lbs or foot-lbs. There is a 12 to 1 difference. If 10 rpm is too fast you can slow it down by gearing and at the same time proportionatly increase the torque. But as previously stated keeping the center of gravity as near the center of rotation will definitaly have the most effect on reducing the needed torque.

      rosnekcaj

      > Hey Mitt,
      >
      > I'd say that balancing the pig around the axis of the spit is at least as important as the torque applied. If you could rig weights on that spit to put the center of mass right on the spit, you'd require very little torque. If, on the other hand, you are sufficiently far out of balance, neither motor would work.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: mstehelin@...
      > Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:37:33 +0000
      > Subject: [Distillers] Distilling related - Really! Honest

      > OK Guys,
      >
      > I'm getting married. I want to roast a pig or two.
      >
      > I need help figuring out a rotisserie. I know that there are many super smart electro-mechanical guys here. So here is my question.
      >
      > If I use a AC gear motor spinning at 10 RPM with 40 lbs of torque will I have trouble spinning a 50 lb pig for 8 hours? I know that I can use different sized gears to speed up or reduce speed. But will this affect the over all weight I can handle?
      >
      > What is the application to distilling you ask? Well stirring goopy ingredients to keep them from burning of course!!
      >
      > Thanks for your ideas and input.

      > Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.

    • Mitt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
        Inch pounds

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

        > You say 40 lbs of torque. Is that inch-lbs or foot-lbs. There is a 12 to 1 difference. If 10 rpm is too fast you can slow it down by gearing and at the same time proportionatly increase the torque. But as previously stated keeping the center of gravity as near the center of rotation will definitaly have the most effect on reducing the needed torque.
        >
        > rosnekcaj
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hey Mitt,
        > >
        > > I'd say that balancing the pig around the axis of the spit is at least as important as the torque applied. If you could rig weights on that spit to put the center of mass right on the spit, you'd require very little torque. If, on the other hand, you are sufficiently far out of balance, neither motor would work.
        > >
        > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        > >

        > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: mstehelin@
        > > Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:37:33 +0000
        > > Subject: [Distillers] Distilling related - Really! Honest

        > > OK Guys,
        > >
        > > I'm getting married. I want to roast a pig or two.
        > >
        > > I need help figuring out a rotisserie. I know that there are many super smart electro-mechanical guys here. So here is my question.
        > >
        > > If I use a AC gear motor spinning at 10 RPM with 40 lbs of torque will I have trouble spinning a 50 lb pig for 8 hours? I know that I can use different sized gears to speed up or reduce speed. But will this affect the over all weight I can handle?
        > >
        > > What is the application to distilling you ask? Well stirring goopy ingredients to keep them from burning of course!!
        > >
        > > Thanks for your ideas and input.

        > > Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.

      • zakir hussain
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
          Dear Mitt,
          Dont you think that you are making this a bit too boring ?? Why not converse something more about distilling instead?
          zak.

          > You say 40 lbs of torque. Is that inch-lbs or foot-lbs. There is a 12 to 1 difference. If 10 rpm is too fast you can slow it down by gearing and at the same time proportionatly increase the torque. But as previously stated keeping the center of gravity as near the center of rotation will definitaly have the most effect on reducing the needed torque.
          >
          > rosnekcaj
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@ > wrote:
          > >

          > > Hey Mitt,
          > >
          > > I'd say that balancing the pig around the axis of the spit is at least as important as the torque applied. If you could rig weights on that spit to put the center of mass right on the spit, you'd require very little torque. If, on the other hand, you are sufficiently far out of balance, neither motor would work.
          > >
          > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          > >

          > > To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
          > > From: mstehelin@
          > > Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:37:33 +0000
          > > Subject: [Distillers] Distilling related - Really! Honest

          > > OK Guys,
          > >
          > > I'm getting married. I want to roast a pig or two.
          > >
          > > I need help figuring out a rotisserie. I know that there are many super smart electro-mechanical guys here. So here is my question.
          > >
          > > If I use a AC gear motor spinning at 10 RPM with 40 lbs of torque will I have trouble spinning a 50 lb pig for 8 hours? I know that I can use different sized gears to speed up or reduce speed. But will this affect the over all weight I can handle?
          > >
          > > What is the application to distilling you ask? Well stirring goopy ingredients to keep them from burning of course!!
          > >
          > > Thanks for your ideas and input.

          > > Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.
          > > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 201469226/ direct/01/

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
            Actually, Zak, since most of us are some combination of engineers and epicures, this isn't terribly far afield. If the forum were terribly congested, it might be more of a problem, but we're pretty quiet now.

            True, it might have been better if he also told us about the homemade whiskey sauce he would be using.

            Just one man's opinion.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: zak_170504@...
            Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:14:05 -0800

            Dear Mitt,
            Dont you think that you are making this a bit too boring ?? Why not converse something more about distilling instead?
            zak.
            ----snip----

          • Mitt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
              OK! I knew that it would have to get back to distilling....
              Here is the web page with all the motors.
              www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/996/=6358sp
              Very useful for stirring goop
              Cheers
              Mitt

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
                Dear robert....
                Actually, Zak, since most of us are some combination of engineers and epicures, this isn't terribly far afield...... Cheers to that!!!!
                So we do have some aptitude in all of us!!

                zak.