Re: [Distillers] Re: Methanol test

  • Bryan Bornais
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
      If you have access to a Gas Chromatograph with a simple capillary column, then it would be fun to run an experiment with a pure HPLC grade methanol as your reference.

      Your first injection would be pure methanol. This will give you the retention time.

      The second would be your sample, spiked with methanol. You should try a few spike dilutions such as 10, 30 and 50% MeOH in your sample.

      The third is your sample.

      You should be able to quickly and easily get a qualitative idea, and learn a few things along the way.

      Do your homework and make it a formal lab experiment, that way you will eliminate many outside factors that will confuse things and make it harder for you in the long run.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
        Check your results against orange juice. You will likely find there is more methanol in the OJ than any of the distilled spirits made from sugar or grain.

      • sumokou@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
          Cool!

          Thanks a lot everyone!

          Now is there a way to test for methanol at home?

          Will