Re: Methanol test

  • ortholaan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
      Hi Will.

      Have a look at this article:

      http://www.jbc.org/content/42/2/311.full.pdf+html?sid=38a48070-b5f2-4d3d-aa4e-e8100cbf494b

      Proost, Ko.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumokou@..." <sumokou@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm wondering if there is anyway to test for methanol in alcohol that my parents make?
      >
      > I have "unlimited" access to chem equipment at school.
      >
      > Thanks a bunch!
      >
      > Will

    • Bryan Bornais
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
        If you have access to a Gas Chromatograph with a simple capillary column, then it would be fun to run an experiment with a pure HPLC grade methanol as your reference.

        Your first injection would be pure methanol. This will give you the retention time.

        The second would be your sample, spiked with methanol. You should try a few spike dilutions such as 10, 30 and 50% MeOH in your sample.

        The third is your sample.

        You should be able to quickly and easily get a qualitative idea, and learn a few things along the way.

        Do your homework and make it a formal lab experiment, that way you will eliminate many outside factors that will confuse things and make it harder for you in the long run.

        > I'm wondering if there is anyway to test for methanol in alcohol that my parents make?
        >
        > I have "unlimited" access to chem equipment at school.
        >
        > Thanks a bunch!
        >
        > Will

        Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
      • pint_o_shine
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
          Check your results against orange juice. You will likely find there is more methanol in the OJ than any of the distilled spirits made from sugar or grain.

        • sumokou@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
            Cool!

            Thanks a lot everyone!

            Now is there a way to test for methanol at home?

            Will