Re: Corn Only Mash

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2010
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harlanky97" <colinspoelman@...> wrote:

      > I have a question for the group. I'm a relative newbie to the forum, but have been distilling for a year. I have a question about making a pure corn mash. I have tried to do this and I end up with something too porridgy to work as a good mash. If I do 80% corn and 20% barley malt then it works perfectly. Does anyone have a good recipe (and procedure) for a pure corn mash? Usually, I just do 23L of water, heated to 165F, then turn off the heat, add 9L corn. How do I tweak this process to get a usable mash out of just corn? I don't need it to be that productive...
      >
      > Sorry if this is redundant with something already asked. Many thanks,
      >
      > Colin

      You've gotta have something to convert the corn. Traditionally it's sprouted barley, because of all the grains useable, barley & wheat have the highest incidence of enzymatic activity.

      If you want all corn, then sprout ALL of the corn kernels. Sprouted Corn has barely enough enzymes to convert it own weight. That's why you should do it all, not just 20% or so.

      Another (easier) route is to use enzyme powders (cheap) available online from milehi & others. Great conversion rates, near foolproof.

      HTH

    • harlanky97
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
        Great, that's quite helpful!