Re: Nother Qestion for Group and Wal or Harry - Ciroc Vodka

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010
      Exactly ZB,

      Maybe cause ive been making wine off and on since 16, when i taste a
      shot of vodka and nothing but the taste of brandy comes out through my
      taste buds, something is wrong. I dont care if its distilled to 95.6%
      or 90% - it still shouldn't be called vodka period...... Guess im just
      old fashioned buddy.

      But yes I can see Tito's being a vodka since its from corn and even if
      its distilled in a pot still many times, thats a grain. Even your MUM
      vodka is ok since we are talking a totally neutral sugar wash. Maybe Im
      guilty of splitting hairs here lol.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      And yes where is Mason?? I posted a note in New Distillers a while back
      "Were's Waldo II" . Hope hes ok.

      > Waldo,
      >
      > It sounds like you are questioning and exploring something that also
      bothers me; exactly what flavor notes/congeners do which vodkas made by
      which processes contain, and what pleases our taste buds? I think we
      have too many examples of non-correlation between "azeotrope vodkas" and
      popularly-preferred vodkas to say that azeotrope vodka is the *only*
      best way. Tito's vodka is a great example, and I'll throw in my
      double-bicarb-distilled MUM "sugar jack" as another possibility.

      > I wonder what the chances are that anyone can, or has, tested vodkas
      in a gas spectrometer, so we could know once and for all what flavoring
      compounds (and in what ratios) we're dealing with.

      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >
      > P.S. Speaking of MUM, has anyone heard from Mason lately? I'd hate for
      us to lose him.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010

        > Exactly ZB,
        >
        > Maybe cause ive been making wine off and on since 16, when i taste a
        > shot of vodka and nothing but the taste of brandy comes out through my
        > taste buds, something is wrong. I dont care if its distilled to 95.6%
        > or 90% - it still shouldn't be called vodka period...... Guess im just
        > old fashioned buddy.
        >
        > But yes I can see Tito's being a vodka since its from corn and even if
        > its distilled in a pot still many times, thats a grain. Even your MUM
        > vodka is ok since we are talking a totally neutral sugar wash. Maybe Im
        > guilty of splitting hairs here lol.
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        >
        > Jim aka Waldo.
        >
        > And yes where is Mason?? I posted a note in New Distillers a while back
        > "Were's Waldo II" . Hope hes ok.

        This 7 minute video may be of some use...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuFQ3HgTCss

        Re Mason: Sent him a pm. No answer yet, but it's sleep time where he is.

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
          Good video Harry,

          Will recommend in New Distillers when any of these topics come up.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.