Nother Qestion for Group and Wal or Harry - Ciroc Vodka

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hey all,

      A friend just brought over a bottle of Ciroc Vodka from France. This stuff is made from French grapes and distilled 5 times!!!. It extreamly smooth and crystal clear but tastes like a brandy without the vanillan smells and golden color. My question is can this really be called a vodka and not a brandy (even if it was distilled 5 times)?

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      Might be of interest to you too ZB..)
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2010
        Historically, terms were used loosely - even unaged grain spirit in the U.S. was called whiskey. These days commercial interests rule!

        http://tinyurl.com/ybv45z3

        wal

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010

          Really Wal,

          Seems now just about anything can be used to make vodka - as long as it is distilled to azeotrophe.  Note their last distillation is made in a pot still lol...  But first time it went down, i still could taste the brandy - not a vodka in my book - regardless of aged on oak or not.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Cîroc vodka is a brand of distilled beverage manufactured in France. It is claimed by the drink's promoters that it distinguished from other vodkas by the fact that it is derived from grapes, in contrast to corn, sorghum, rye, wheat, or potatoes that are more commonly used. Because the base product is a fruit, it may be more properly described as an eau de vie, but is marketed as vodka instead.

          Although all vodka is distilled, the manufacturers of Cîroc vodka emphasize that theirs is distilled five times. The first four distillations of the Ugni Blanc take place in stainless steel column stills; the Mauzac Blanc grapes are distilled in copper continuous stills. These are distilled as far as 96.5% and 93.5%, then blended together 95% being Ugni Blanc and 5% Mauzac Blanc. The final distillation is performed in a traditional Armagnac style copper pot still.

          > Historically, terms were used loosely - even unaged grain spirit in the U.S. was called whiskey. These days commercial interests rule!
          >
          >  http://tinyurl.com/ybv45z3
          >
          > wal

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010
            Waldo,

            It sounds like you are questioning and exploring something that also bothers me; exactly what flavor notes/congeners do which vodkas made by which processes contain, and what pleases our taste buds? I think we have too many examples of non-correlation between "azeotrope vodkas" and popularly-preferred vodkas to say that azeotrope vodka is the *only* best way. Tito's vodka is a great example, and I'll throw in my double-bicarb-distilled MUM "sugar jack" as another possibility.

            I wonder what the chances are that anyone can, or has, tested vodkas in a gas spectrometer, so we could know once and for all what flavoring compounds (and in what ratios) we're dealing with.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            P.S. Speaking of MUM, has anyone heard from Mason lately? I'd hate for us to lose him.

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: jamesonbeam1@...----snip----
            ----snip----

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010
              Eastern European vodkas have usually lightly added flavor unlike the
              U.S. definition.
              I have seen a local vodka in Australia from sugarcane molasses! But if you can use sugarbeet molasses, why not?
              wal

              > Waldo,
              >
              > It sounds like you are questioning and exploring something that also bothers me; exactly what flavor notes/congeners do which vodkas made by which processes contain, and what pleases our taste buds? I think we have too many examples of non-correlation between "azeotrope vodkas" and popularly-preferred vodkas to say that azeotrope vodka is the *only* best way. Tito's vodka is a great example, and I'll throw in my double-bicarb-distilled MUM "sugar jack" as another possibility.
              >
              > I wonder what the chances are that anyone can, or has, tested vodkas in a gas spectrometer, so we could know once and for all what flavoring compounds (and in what ratios) we're dealing with.
              >
              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              >
              > P.S. Speaking of MUM, has anyone heard from Mason lately? I'd hate for us to lose him.
              >

              > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              > From: jamesonbeam1@... all vodka is distilled, the manufacturers of Cîroc vodka emphasize that theirs is distilled five times. The first four distillations of the Ugni Blanc take place in stainless steel column stills; the Mauzac Blanc grapes are distilled in copper continuous stills. These are distilled as far as 96.5% and 93.5%, then blended together 95% being Ugni Blanc and 5% Mauzac Blanc. The final distillation is performed in a traditional Armagnac style copper pot still.
              >
              > ----snip----

              > Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010
                Exactly ZB,

                Maybe cause ive been making wine off and on since 16, when i taste a
                shot of vodka and nothing but the taste of brandy comes out through my
                taste buds, something is wrong. I dont care if its distilled to 95.6%
                or 90% - it still shouldn't be called vodka period...... Guess im just
                old fashioned buddy.

                But yes I can see Tito's being a vodka since its from corn and even if
                its distilled in a pot still many times, thats a grain. Even your MUM
                vodka is ok since we are talking a totally neutral sugar wash. Maybe Im
                guilty of splitting hairs here lol.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                And yes where is Mason?? I posted a note in New Distillers a while back
                "Were's Waldo II" . Hope hes ok.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2010

                  > Exactly ZB,
                  >
                  > Maybe cause ive been making wine off and on since 16, when i taste a
                  > shot of vodka and nothing but the taste of brandy comes out through my
                  > taste buds, something is wrong. I dont care if its distilled to 95.6%
                  > or 90% - it still shouldn't be called vodka period...... Guess im just
                  > old fashioned buddy.
                  >
                  > But yes I can see Tito's being a vodka since its from corn and even if
                  > its distilled in a pot still many times, thats a grain. Even your MUM
                  > vodka is ok since we are talking a totally neutral sugar wash. Maybe Im
                  > guilty of splitting hairs here lol.
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  >
                  > Jim aka Waldo.
                  >
                  > And yes where is Mason?? I posted a note in New Distillers a while back
                  > "Were's Waldo II" . Hope hes ok.

                  This 7 minute video may be of some use...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuFQ3HgTCss

                  Re Mason: Sent him a pm. No answer yet, but it's sleep time where he is.

                • jamesonbeam1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Good video Harry,

                    Will recommend in New Distillers when any of these topics come up.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim aka Waldo.