Parrots

  • flakedmaize
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4 8:32 PM
      I am wondering about the parrots beak? With an inlet at the bottom, does the distillate really work its way through the parrot, or does it have to be connected to the outlet of your still? A lot of the pics look like your product just drips into the parrot intake. But it seems to me that you need some sort of pressure to push the distillate through the parrot. Any advice would be very helpfull.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5 7:17 AM
        Hi Flaked,

        I kinda hung off answering this, because the temptation to be a smartass was strong upon me, but I'm ok now. With my parrot, as well as most I've seen, yes, the still's output simply drips into the "funnel" of the parrot's beak. The actual flow through the device is driven simply by gravity. Since the input funnel is higher than the "lip", the edge over which the distillate flows, right at the alcoholometer scale, the alcohol simply flows from high to low.

        It woudn't make sense for the sprit to "back up" and overflow the high input funnel, when the output by the alcoholometer is lower. With a completely straight face, the liquid flows from high to low.

        I hope this helps

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: stonearchapiaries@...
        Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 04:32:28 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Parrots

        I am wondering about the parrots beak? With an inlet at the bottom, does the distillate really work its way through the parrot, or does it have to be connected to the outlet of your still? A lot of the pics look like your product just drips into the parrot intake. But it seems to me that you need some sort of pressure to push the distillate through the parrot. Any advice would be very helpfull.

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5 7:21 AM
          The inlet must be higher than the outlet gravity will push it out. If you don't have an air gap on the inlet you will get surging from the boiler