Glenmorangie Clone Pot Still Head

  • bursal2
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      I would like to build a pot still head after the style of one outlined in Harry's Cloning Glenmorangie. I have two boilers 30lt dual element electric and a 25.5lt gas fired. I will make the head so that it can be used on either boiler.

      I have some 2 5/8" (67mm) copper tube for the column and a number of different reducers to connect to my existing 2' (600mm) liebig, it has a 1/2" flare nut on the end.

      I would like some suggestions as to how high I should make the column. From the lid to lyne arm (hope my terminology is correct. My thinking is that the column will be made from 2 5/8" copper tube,then be reduced from 2 5/8" – 1 3/8" – 1 1/8 then 1 1/8" long radii elbow – 1 1/8 45° elbow. Another series of reducers for the 2' (600mm) 45° inclined section of the lyne arm. I was thinking of making this section in 1/2" but should it be 3/4" or 7/8" and then reduced to 1/2" to attach to the down facing liebig.

      If you are not familiar with Harry's design here is his description.

      "If you already have a potstill, you can achieve a similar result by angling the lyne arm at the top of the neck to a 45° angle for about 60cm of length, then direct it downward to the condenser or worm. The suggested tweaking methods for the two still designs will give product lighter than the usual, which is the first step in trying to duplicate Glenmorangie. "

      Thanks for reading my post.