Re: [Distillers] Drilling Stainless Steel

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.8 MB
    Hi,
    I was talking from experience,if you look at the photos of my rig, every hole was drilled with a cone/step drill bit.Not only are they easy to use, they are self centering and leave a very clean cut hole. I bought my set from 'lidl' six years ago for £7 and they still work perfectly.

    Regards
    Joe

    Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
      I live in the U.S. Do you have a brand name of the cone/step drill bit set so I can try to find one on this side of the pond.

      Thanks

      I was talking from experience,if you look at the photos of my rig, every hole was drilled with a cone/step drill bit.Not only are they easy to use, they are self centering and leave a very clean cut hole. I bought my set from 'lidl' six years ago for £7 and they still work perfectly.

      Regards
      Joe

      Surely you are asking a damn stupid question? We realise it is difficult drilling stainless steel, so drilling a 1.25" diameter hole  is nearly impossible and an unlikkely demand? Probably, we want about an eigth inch hole, which, as someone has said, is not easy - but just about possible with enough pressure.

      Are you really sure of your suggestions?

      Tony

    • Dave Nay
      Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
        Most and Sears store...

        http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/search_10155_12602?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&keyword=step+drill&sLevel=0

        --
        Since I gave up hope, I feel a lot better!
      • joe giffen
        Message 4 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
          Hi,
          Sorry about the length of link. This  is exactly the bits I use and would, at about $37 delivered, seem a better deal than sears.

          From: Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...>
          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, 15 January, 2010, 15:17

[...]

        • Johnnie Sisco
          Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010

            They have them in the electrical section at Home Depot  they are a bit pricy but work well

[...]

          • Trid
            Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
              --- On Fri, 1/15/10, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

              > I live in the U.S. Do you have a brand name of the cone/step drill bit set
              > so I can try to find one on this side of the pond.\

              In the US, we call 'em "Unibits" (actually a brand name, like "Channellock" or "Vise-Grip") but they'll be found either with all the rest of the drill bits, or as mentioned before, in the electrical section where the specialty electrician's tools are sold.

              Other brands are Greenlee, Lenox, Blu-Mol, and I'm sure there are more. If you live anywhere a Harbor Freight (though mail/internet order will work, too) their house brand of step bits are said to be of comparable quality and a set of two is less money than a single brand-name step bit.
              http://tinyurl.com/ylj5cuu

              Trid
              -tools are my friends