Re: Questions from a newbie?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010

      No Joe,

      Jim aka Waldo AKA MODERATOR , is not Harry, but if you noticed, Harry has not been around recently since he has been busy with computer problems and the moderators have been helping out by answering questions and approving messages.

       If you bothered reading some of the postings in New Distillers, you would have read:

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

       Sorry for the late reply.  I've just spent nearly 3 days & nights restructuring from a computer meltdown. (try recovering nearly 100 Gig of info if you want something to do.  Still not fully up to speed).
      ___snip

      ps...Many thanks Geoff, for filling the breach in my absence.  Good work!  So too for the moderators.  Thank you.

      So anyways, your very welcome for answering your question....

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo

      (Moderator filling in for Harry)

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

      > Is it Jim aka Waldo,aka Harry?
      >
      > Regards
      > Joe

    • juliet kent
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
        Thank you for that.  It is extremely helpful and I think believe there is a nutrient problem which I have now rectified and will test ph tomorrow.  Cheers, Juliet

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: michael@...
        Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 04:26:32 -0600
        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Questions from a newbie?

        http://homedistille r.org/forum/ viewtopic. php?f=3&t=12501

        Here is a link talking about PH.

        If the PH gets too low or too high the yeast can’t work right depending on the yeast.

        I have used baking soda it works OK.  I prefer Potassium Carbonate this is what I use when making beer. Since your going to be distilling, the baking soda will be left behind. With beer whatever you put in you will be drinking.

        I had a Rum that had stopped fermenting I used the strips (they can be a little hard to read) and my ph was under 3  I added baking soda and brought it up above 5 and it took of again.

        Just add a little at a time keep testing it after each addition. If you go too high you can add water to bring it down if you have room in the fermenter or add citric acid like fruit fresh from the grocery store or lemon juice

        What you want to shoot for is a PH of 5.2 most times

        I have started using a PH adjuster (from Brewhas  http://www.brewhaus .com/52-pH- Adjuster- P859.aspx ) and my washes take off and finish faster.

        I bought this ph meter and I like it very much http://www.brewhaus .com/pH-Meter- P973.aspx but the strips are OK.  If your wash has lots of color like from molasses they are hard to read.

        Missouri Bootlegger

        If it exists, you'll find it on SEEK Want to be a Space Travel Agent?
      • juliet kent
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
          Yes I did aerate the wash but it is really good to know all that attention to detail really is important.  Alot of it I do just by gut feeling and years of helping my parents with their wine making and a bit of brewing but plan to make 2010 a year of learning brewing in more depth.  I have been a voyeur of this site for quite a few years but have been missing a bit of basic knowledge in hindsight.  Thanks all for your feedback (most of it non judgemental) and very helpful.  Cheers, juliet

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: jamesonbeam1@...
          Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:08:11 +0000
          Subject: [Distillers] Re: Questions from a newbie?

          Hi Juliet,
          I assume you are using the Alcotec Gold Turbo Super yeast which will ferment 6kg of sugar in 3 days for a 25 liter wash.  This is the advertized numbers and will produce a wash of 14.1%ABV.  The first thought that comes to mind is that since you added another 2kg over the recommended quantity this would produce an 18.8% ABV wash.  Just guessing here,  but that high a gravity wash may have caused way too much osmodic pressure on the yeast and killed them off.  18.8% is high even by S. Bayanus standards, and usually the  sugar is added in steps to reach this level.   This may explain why they start off fermenting fine and then stop.  I know for a fact that beer yeast only have a tolerance of 14% ABV and 18% is way over the limit.  Since turbo yeast has the nutrients in it, I dont believe thats a problem.
          Some other thoughs are did you aerate you wash and also the question of the pH as was mentioned before.  A properly aerated wash is necessary for yeast growth - read the posting I just made in New Distillers http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ message/37653
          pH is important since yeast grow best between a pH of 4 and 6.  To quote Dr. MB Raines:
          pH.  The last factor to affect yeast growth is pH (a measure of acidity).  Yeast grow well at acidic pHs.  They grow best between pH 4 to pH 6.  Normal wort is acidic with a pH near 5.2.  During growth and fermentation the pH drops to about 4.1-4.2 and in some cases even lower.
          One last thought is check the expiration date if there is one on the yeast package.  What I would do now is to remove about 1/3 of the wash (8 liters or so) and add water to bring the SG back to 1.110 (25.8 brix) for a 14% ABV wash again.  Since its been sitting for so long, aerate with a pump and stone for 6 hours or so and re-pitch another pack of turbo yeast.
          And next time Juliet, please follow the directions when using a new product or procedure... .. ;).
          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim aka Waldo.