Drilling Stainless Steel

  • JerryM
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 13, 2010
      Anyone got any tips on hold to use a drill press to drill holes in stainless steel. I bought a hole saw bit that according to the manufacturer would cut stainless. With my drill press on the slowest speed and the cut area well oiled, all the hole saw bit did was spin and darken the metal. The more I tried the hotter it got. Ended up cutting the hole with tin snips. On smaller holes I had a heck of a time getting them drilled. Had to resarphen my bits many many times to get the holes drilled. I feel that there is some problem with my technique. Any help would be appreciated.
    • ric
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 13, 2010
        Pressure will be the missing ingredient.
        Once the tool stopss cutting and spins on the material heat is quickly generated which work hardens the ss and then your tool melts.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

        > Anyone got any tips on hold to use a drill press to drill holes in stainless steel. I bought a hole saw bit that according to the manufacturer would cut stainless. With my drill press on the slowest speed and the cut area well oiled, all the hole saw bit did was spin and darken the metal. The more I tried the hotter it got. Ended up cutting the hole with tin snips. On smaller holes I had a heck of a time getting them drilled. Had to resarphen my bits many many times to get the holes drilled. I feel that there is some problem with my technique. Any help would be appreciated.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 13, 2010
          I've used carbide-grit holesaws to drill holes up to 2 1/8" in stainless kegs. Lubricated as you say, it worked well, if a bit slowly. You just need patience.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: jkmccull@...
          Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:08:35 +0000
          Subject: [Distillers] Drilling Stainless Steel

          Anyone got any tips on hold to use a drill press to drill holes in stainless steel. I bought a hole saw bit that according to the manufacturer would cut stainless. With my drill press on the slowest speed and the cut area well oiled, all the hole saw bit did was spin and darken the metal. The more I tried the hotter it got. Ended up cutting the hole with tin snips. On smaller holes I had a heck of a time getting them drilled. Had to resarphen my bits many many times to get the holes drilled. I feel that there is some problem with my technique. Any help would be appreciated.

        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 13, 2010
            HI,
            Up to 32mm. use a cone drill bit.

            Regards
            Joe

            Anyone got any tips on hold to use a drill press to drill holes in stainless steel. I bought a hole saw bit that according to the manufacturer would cut stainless. With my drill press on the slowest speed and the cut area well oiled, all the hole saw bit did was spin and darken the metal. The more I tried the hotter it got. Ended up cutting the hole with tin snips. On smaller holes I had a heck of a time getting them drilled. Had to resarphen my bits many many times to get the holes drilled. I feel that there is some problem with my technique. Any help would be appreciated.

          • Anthony Athawes
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
              32mm is 1.25". This can't be right?

              tony
            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                Why?

                Regards
                Joe

                  Surely you are asking a damn stupid question? We realise it is difficult drilling stainless steel, so drilling a 1.25" diameter hole  is nearly impossible and an unlikkely demand? Probably, we want about an eigth inch hole, which, as someone has said, is not easy - but just about possible with enough pressure.

                  Are you really sure of your suggestions?

                  Tony
                • Trid
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                    --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Anthony Athawes <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                    Surely you are asking a damn stupid question? We
                    realise it is difficult drilling stainless steel, so drilling a 1.25" diameter
                    hole  is nearly impossible and an unlikkely demand? Probably, we want about
                    an eigth inch hole, which, as someone has said, is not easy - but just about possible with enough pressure.

                    Are you really sure of your
                    suggestions?

                    Drilling stainless is not that big of a mystery.
                    I've regularly drilled 2 1/2 inch [1] holes in stainless for attaching columns, using a hole saw and a battery drill. As mentioned before, pressure is the key here. Not enough, and you're effectively polishing instead of cutting. Fine holes like 1/16 and the like are tricky because the bit has little lateral strength and is likely to shear from the pressure. My work around there has been to feed the bit deeply enough into the chuck that only about 1/4" sticks out...sometime even that doesn't work, though.

                    I've never used a cone/step bit for stainless...I've always been dubious about whether the cutting edge could stand up to it. They're too expensive to take a chance with IMHO.

                    Trid
                    -I'd still opt for a plasma cutter, cuz they're, well...a lot more fun!

                    [1] for clarity, that's two-and-a-half inches, not two half-inch holes.
                  • sadangoll1
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                      I have drilled a 2 inch hole through 3/8 inch stainless steel ,I used a whole saw carbide bit made by lennix ,you problably have to go to a plumbing store or a very good lumber company to purchase it there about 35.00 bucks so there not cheap ,but you can cut quite a few holes as long as you keep them cool,(I used water) oil would be ok too.Just keep the same pressure.when drilling smaller holes a use high speed titinium bits and f course oil or water and keep the same pressure.All he bits are made for harden steel and will cut or drill good.I have drilled a lot of holes in stainlees steeland I still have the same bits and whole saw .
                      Barred 4 life
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

                      > Anyone got any tips on hold to use a drill press to drill holes in stainless steel. I bought a hole saw bit that according to the manufacturer would cut stainless. With my drill press on the slowest speed and the cut area well oiled, all the hole saw bit did was spin and darken the metal. The more I tried the hotter it got. Ended up cutting the hole with tin snips. On smaller holes I had a heck of a time getting them drilled. Had to resarphen my bits many many times to get the holes drilled. I feel that there is some problem with my technique. Any help would be appreciated.

                    • gnikomson2000
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010

                        > [1] for clarity, that's two-and-a-half inches, not two half-inch holes.

                        Put a stop between them, like this: 2.1/2 inch

                      • sadangoll1
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                          here's the website for lenox
                          www.lenoxtools.com look under holesaws they also make diamond blades I'm sure they wuold work too.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                            --- On Thu, 1/14/10, gnikomson2000 <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com,
                            > Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > [1] for clarity, that's two-and-a-half inches, not two
                            > half-inch holes.
                            > >

                            > Put a stop between them, like this:  2.1/2 inch

                            But where's the fun in that?

                            Trid
                            -simplicity...bah!
                          • joe giffen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
                            • 1 Attachment
                            • 1.8 MB
                            Hi,
                            I was talking from experience,if you look at the photos of my rig, every hole was drilled with a cone/step drill bit.Not only are they easy to use, they are self centering and leave a very clean cut hole. I bought my set from 'lidl' six years ago for £7 and they still work perfectly.

                            Regards
                            Joe

                            Surely you are asking a damn stupid question? We realise it is difficult drilling stainless steel, so drilling a 1.25" diameter hole  is nearly impossible and an unlikkely demand? Probably, we want about an eigth inch hole, which, as someone has said, is not easy - but just about possible with enough pressure.

                            Are you really sure of your suggestions?

                            Tony

                          • Jerry McCullough
                            Message 14 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                              I live in the U.S. Do you have a brand name of the cone/step drill bit set so I can try to find one on this side of the pond.

                              Thanks

                              I was talking from experience,if you look at the photos of my rig, every hole was drilled with a cone/step drill bit.Not only are they easy to use, they are self centering and leave a very clean cut hole. I bought my set from 'lidl' six years ago for £7 and they still work perfectly.

                              Regards
                              Joe

                              Surely you are asking a damn stupid question? We realise it is difficult drilling stainless steel, so drilling a 1.25" diameter hole  is nearly impossible and an unlikkely demand? Probably, we want about an eigth inch hole, which, as someone has said, is not easy - but just about possible with enough pressure.

                              Are you really sure of your suggestions?

                              Tony

                            • Dave Nay
                              Message 15 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                                Most and Sears store...

                                http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/search_10155_12602?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&keyword=step+drill&sLevel=0

                                --
                                Since I gave up hope, I feel a lot better!
                              • joe giffen
                                Message 16 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  Hi,
                                  Sorry about the length of link. This  is exactly the bits I use and would, at about $37 delivered, seem a better deal than sears.

                                  From: Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...>
                                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Friday, 15 January, 2010, 15:17

[...]

                                • Johnnie Sisco
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010

                                    They have them in the electrical section at Home Depot  they are a bit pricy but work well

                                    Message 18 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                                      --- On Fri, 1/15/10, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

                                      > I live in the U.S. Do you have a brand name of the cone/step drill bit set
                                      > so I can try to find one on this side of the pond.\

                                      In the US, we call 'em "Unibits" (actually a brand name, like "Channellock" or "Vise-Grip") but they'll be found either with all the rest of the drill bits, or as mentioned before, in the electrical section where the specialty electrician's tools are sold.

                                      Other brands are Greenlee, Lenox, Blu-Mol, and I'm sure there are more. If you live anywhere a Harbor Freight (though mail/internet order will work, too) their house brand of step bits are said to be of comparable quality and a set of two is less money than a single brand-name step bit.
                                      http://tinyurl.com/ylj5cuu

                                      Trid
                                      -tools are my friends