Re: Dunder & it's later use in Rum's.

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010

      Yes Mike,

      Adding some of the old back into the new (or visa versa) to continue the "mother line" is pretty much SOP in the rum industry.  So I guess you could say that their dunder line goes as far back as this process was followed (several caribbean distilleries are centuries old).

      However, this is assumming you are making a new batch every week or so.  In my case, I usually just make rum during the summer months so its tough to keep this up - why I just usually throw my old stuff away.

      Also, the second part of this "dunder" equation is a continuation of the yeast and trub line as well.  Dunder is also considered as the yeast rich trub left at the bottom of the fermentation to start the new fermentation with (same as in the sour mash world).  Matter o fact, if you do a search on dunder in either Yahoo or Google, thats what all the definitions state.   If you want to read more on dunder,  type in dunder in the search window of this site and go to the very beginning - back to 2003 and see what Harry had to say about it ;).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.