Jim's Energy Miracle-Gro Wash

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010

      Hi All,

      Recently just posted this from New Distillers after some discussions.  Thought you all might be interested  in it and maybe try it out.  Please feel free to give any comments or suggestions....

      Ok Kacj,  Bigdaddy and others,

      Here's the first shot across the bow for this recipe.  The idea of using Energy Drinks was first discussed here 2 years ag0 when Headsmashedin asked about putting a Red Bull in a fermentation, but at that time nobody took it seriously since we all were just talking about the caffeine - look it up in the search archives (New Distillers) under "Red Bull".

       It wasn't till this summer at a party where everyone had to sample the bottle I had brought with me when they relized it was not store bought and I was one of them thar moonshiners.   This left me high and dry without a drop, so I reached into the fridge and pull out what looked like a can of malt liquor and started reading it.  Turned out it was an energy drink and thought to myself, "This aint no energy drink, its a friggin 7 course gourmet meal for yeast!"  I have been experimenting with them ever since.

      While I dont believe the amount of caffeine has any effects (have tried adding instant coffee to fermentations with no change), there are several other ingredients you should look for.  Since the Miracle-Gro provides the mineral requirements, look for the vitamins, lipids (fat),  amino acids (protein) along with any calcium, potassium or phosphorus in Energy Drinks:

      Vitamins - Look for high percentages of B vitamins such as B-3,  B-5,  B-6. B-12, and Folic Acid (B-9).

      Amino acids / Protein -  Look for high levels of Protein along with the Amino acids  L-Carnitine or  Taurine.

      Lipids / Fat - Look for at least a gram or more of fat.

      Far as the exotic ingredients such as ginkgo biloba leaf extract, inositol, panax ginseng extract or milk thisle, I am not sure what effects (if any) they may have.

      As mentioned before, Red Bull works very well, but I have had excellent  sucess with "Rock Star Roasted Vanilla".  This contains:

      Active Ingredients:  (what to look for is in bold)
      Mg/% USRDA per serving(whichever are listed on the can) per serving (2 servings in this can) of the following: Fat 1.5g/2%, carbohydrates 7g/2%, protein 3g/6%, vitamin B3 20mg/100%, vitamin B5 10mg/100%, vitamin B6 2mg/100%, vitamin B12 6mcg/100%, calcium 60mg/6%, potassium 230mg/7%, phosphorous 83mg/8%, taurine 1g, ginkgo biloba leaf extract 150mg, caffeine 120mg, guarana 25mg, inositol 25mg, l-carnitine 25mg, panax ginseng extract 25mg, milk thistle extract 20mg.

      http://www.screamingenergy.com/energy_drinks.php?i=2  contains a listing of over 200 Energy Drinks and their ingredients, so depending on where you live, you should have no problem finding several brands.  The average prices run around 2.oo US and less if you buy in 4, 6 or 12 packs.  Since you will be re-using the EC-1118 yeast, this is still far cheaper then any single use Turbo yeast packet.

      Lalvin EC-1118 (S. bayanus) Yeast

      There are several reasons I chose this yeast.  It is highly ethanol tolerant and can withstand upwards of 18% ABV.  It is an extremely competitive yeast and flocculates (clears) very rapidly with no clearing agent required.  Also a very neutral yeast and faster acting then bakers, brewers or other wine yeasts.  See http://www.fermentationtrap.com/3032.html

      Since we will be using the same trub without pitching new yeast after the first fermentation, the high competitiveness will hinder any infections from wild yeasts.  Matter of fact its known as "The Killer Strain" for just that reason.  The concept here is to build up the trub so you start off with a large population of yeast and dont have to wait for the "exponential growth phase" which occurs during the first 24 to 36 hours of fermentation.  Read p://archive.maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

      After 4 to 5 fermentations,  you should see the fermentation complete in 48 to 72 hours with speeds increasing the more you repeat the process.  This trub may be stored in the fridge for several weeks with some water added between fermentations.  While I dont really recommend it for novices, during the experiments,  I have used the same trub over 2o times with no noticable changes in taste.

      If you feel there is too much trub, then take some out or add some into the sugar when you invert it to provide even more nutrients from the exploded yeast hulls.

      Inverting the Sugar

      Another method to speed up fermentations is to "invert" the sugar.  Pure white cane sugar is 100% sucrose which is a disaccharide and cannot be digested directly by yeast.  They first have to convert sucrose into its monosaccharide components of fructose and glucose by the enzyme "invertase".

      We can do this for them by first inverting the sugar with citric acid / lemon juice and save them a step:

      For 1 pound invert sugar:

      • 2 cups finely granulated sugar
      • 1 cup water
      • 2 tsp lemon juice

      Invert sugar is made by mixing two parts sugar to one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar. This is brought almost to a boil and held there for 30 minutes (do NOT allow to boil). This is poured into a sealable jar, sealed and cooled in refrigerator. This process hydrolizes sucrose into glucose and fructose and speeds fermentation.

       (from Jack Keller, a highly respected wine expert)

      pH.  (from Dr. MB Raines)

      "The last factor to affect yeast growth is pH (a measure of acidity).  Yeast grow well at acidic pHs.  They grow best between pH 4 to pH 6.  Normal wort  is acidic with a pH near 5.2.  During growth and fermentation the pH drops to about 4.1-4.2 and in some cases even lower. "

      While the citric acid from the lemon juice should accomplish this, depending on your water, test the wash with a pH test strip or swimming pool titration kit and add more lemon juice if required.  To increase the pH if too low, you can add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or potassium bicarbonate (preferred).

      Recipe

      Ok enough theory.  Now on to the recipe....  Since this can no longer be considered a derivation of a MUM wash due to the "Universal Part" lost from the EC-1118 instead of bakers yeast, (the only orginal ingredient is Plant food), I guess its "Jim's Energy Miracle-gro Wash - or JEM wash for short (love those 3 letter abbrivations like "MUM" and "ATF"  lol)...

            Jim's Energy Miracle-gro Wash Recipe (JEM)

              (makes a 20 liter/5 gallon 16% ABV wash)

      - 2 packets Lalvin EC-1118 yeast (5 grams each)

      - 12 lbs. white cane sugar (inverted - see above instructions)  If you want to go to 18% ABV add another 2 lbs. inverted sugar after a day of fermentation.

      -2 tablespoons 24-8-16 water soluble Miracle-gro or Peters plant food (Peters is cheaper in some areas and both contain exact same ingredients)

      - 1 can Energy Drink of your choice (Rock Star Roasted Vanilla or Red Bull suggested)

      __________________________________

      1. Invert sugar per above instructions and let cool to 90F  (syrup maybe stored in refrigerator till used).

      2.  Add Plant Food and Energy Drink and stir.

      3.  Top off with water to make 5 gallons of wash.

      4.  For first fermentation, pitch 2 packets of EC-1118.  For future fermentations, store the trub in fridge and just repitch that.

      ______________________________

      Sorry if this recipe is so complex;).  If you want to test it, try fermenting a batch of MUM with bakers yeast side by side with this recipe and see if you can tell any differences.  Also let me know if you think of any changes or improvements.

      Note:  This is also very easily adaptable to making rums, brandies and cornflake mashes or the UJSSM method.

      Enjoy.....

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

    • j0hnr0bb0
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
        Hi Jim / anybody

        Started a new JEM wash yesterday (Tuesday Morning) ph was 5.2 , today Wednesday morning the ph is 3 . the temp of the wash is 26c , the is not much activity a few very small bubbles , reading started of with 1.088 now 1.082 . ( I did invert sugar)
        ps( i did not use redbull or rock start - just a own brand from TESCO )
        questions are ...
        1) do i get the ph back up over 4?
        2) do i put a can of redbull in it ? (i shouldn't have use the cheap version !!!! They call me Duck !! (Tight arse)
        3) do i just leave it ?
        4) Any other comments ?

        Cheers,
        Robbo

> [...]
        > ingredients)
        >
        > - 1 can Energy Drink of your choice (Rock Star Roasted Vanilla or Red
        > Bull suggested)
        >
        > __________________________________
        >
        > 1. Invert sugar per above instructions and let cool to 90F (syrup maybe
        > stored in refrigerator till used).
        >
        > 2. Add Plant Food and Energy Drink and stir.
        >
        > 3. Top off with water to make 5 gallons of wash.
        >
        > 4. For first fermentation, pitch 2 packets of EC-1118. For future
        > fermentations, store the trub in fridge and just repitch that.
        >
        > ______________________________
        >
        > Sorry if this recipe is so complex [;)] . If you want to test it, try
        > fermenting a batch of MUM with bakers yeast side by side with this
        > recipe and see if you can tell any differences. Also let me know if you
        > think of any changes or improvements.
        >
        > Note: This is also very easily adaptable to making rums, brandies and

      • B Stinga
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
          Try and keep the pH above 3.4 or yeast can get too stressed. Dr Cone recomends high sugar washes be kept with a pH range of between pH3.4 and pH4. You can add potassium or calcium carbonate or bicarbonate. (the potassium carb is slightly more beneficial to yeast). Also adding some Epsom Salts at start of washes can help give a buffer to the acids produced by the yeasts. Seems like a really fast pH drop in just one day to me. If it fails to start back up after half a day from pH adjustment you may need to add more yeast. EC-1118 would be a good one to kick things off.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > ingredients)
          > >
          > > - 1 can Energy Drink of your choice (Rock Star Roasted Vanilla or Red
          > > Bull suggested)
          > >
          > > __________________________________
          > >
          > > 1. Invert sugar per above instructions and let cool to 90F (syrup maybe
          > > stored in refrigerator till used).
          > >
          > > 2. Add Plant Food and Energy Drink and stir.
          > >
          > > 3. Top off with water to make 5 gallons of wash.
          > >
          > > 4. For first fermentation, pitch 2 packets of EC-1118. For future
          > > fermentations, store the trub in fridge and just repitch that.
          > >
          > > ______________________________
          > >
          > > Sorry if this recipe is so complex [;)] . If you want to test it, try
          > > fermenting a batch of MUM with bakers yeast side by side with this
          > > recipe and see if you can tell any differences. Also let me know if you
          > > think of any changes or improvements.
          > >
          > > Note: This is also very easily adaptable to making rums, brandies and

        • gnikomson2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "B Stinga" <bbstinga@...> wrote:

            > Try and keep the pH above 3.4 or yeast can get too stressed. Dr Cone recomends high sugar washes be kept with a pH range of between pH3.4 and pH4.

            While I don't disagree with the good Dr Cone, I must point out that worts/washes made for distilling really need to attenuate as quickly as possible or troubles creep in.  Highly sugared or highly acidic worts can really slow down yeasts' metabolism rate (even produce unwanted by-products).

            The best pH level for worts/washes meant for distilling is in the range 5.0 to 5.5, just acidic enough to deter competing spoilage microbes, but not acid enough to retard the yeast (which obviously handles acid conditions better than microbes).

            pH is not very well understood by the layman, so here's a brief "heads-up"...

            What is pH?
            Acidic and basic are two extremes that describe chemicals, just like hot and cold are two extremes that describe temperature. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out their extreme effects; much like mixing hot and cold water can even out the water temperature. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

            The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. It ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7 is basic. Each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, a pH of 4 is ten times more acidic than a pH of 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than a pH of 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline—another way to say basic—than the next lower whole value. For example, a pH of 10 is ten times more alkaline than a pH of 9.

            Pure water is neutral, with a pH of 7.0.

            Sugar cane juice ranges between 4.9 and 5.5

            White grape juice varies, but is usually between 2.6 and 3.5

            HTH

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
              Dr Cone was referring to a high sugar wash. High sugar washes can suddenly drop to below pH3 and Dr Cone recommends monitoring and adjusting to prevent this.
              pH5-5.5 is definitely recommended for rum washes to get a good flavor profile.
              wal