Questions from a newbie?

  • keith.woods2007@att.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
      I have three questions of which I am sure you will be able to help.

      1) How is the best way to install packing or scrubbers within the column? I have seen suspension and plates but I can't figure out which would be the best.
      2) Condenser. I am a bit confused on the reflux condenser and the water. Does the water sit within the jacket and the distillate goes through the water or does the vapor go into the chamber that water is pumped thru the coil?
      3) Lastly, dealing with chambers. Adding a chamber for gins and for charcoal filters, would you suggest adding these at the beginning of construction or just leaving them off?

      Thanks for all your help from a complete novice! Again, GREAT site!

      Woods
    • just me
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
        hi Keith,
        you should go to homedistillers.org . all your answers are there. the charcoal filtering is done in a different vessel. the water jacket has cooling water. the distillate is never in direct contact with the vapor. i have never made gin but i have heard you want a separate gin head. i advise you to get a different email. a little more under the radar. welcome to the hobby. you should join newdistillers. it is set up for the newbies. we all belong to both groups.

        just me
         No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
        a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

      • ric
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Keith,
          re the packing, if you are using Amphora mess.
          I get a board about 1200mm x150mm with a few nails hit through from the back across one end. I then hook the mesh on those points and pull it out to a mark 1100mm from them and cut the mesh. Two pencils held together with rubber bands are placed across the loose end, pull the mesh tight and roll it up, keeping the edges square. When rolled take off the rubber bands and slide out the pencils.

          This will give you a nice firm and parallel roll of mesh that you can slide into your 2" tube. Play with the length for your situation.
          If you get it right the rolls will slide in and be firm so they wont fall into the boiler.

          Don't listen to any one who repeats the mantra about not packing too tight and that they should be loose enough to blow through.
          I compacted one such roll within the column to be 20mm long and you guessed it; I could still blow through it.
          There you go for that bit anyway.

          Have fun

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "keith.woods2007@..." <keith.woods2007@...> wrote:

          > 1) How is the best way to install packing or scrubbers within the column? I have seen suspension and plates but I can't figure out which would be the best.

          > Woods

        • juliet kent
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
            How long should the copper last before being changed as mine seems to go manky very quickly?

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: richutchings@...
            Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:15:05 +0000
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: Questions from a newbie?

            Hi Keith,
            re the packing, if you are using Amphora mess.
            I get a board about 1200mm x150mm with a few nails hit through from the back across one end. I then hook the mesh on those points and pull it out to a mark 1100mm from them and cut the mesh. Two pencils held together with rubber bands are placed across the loose end, pull the mesh tight and roll it up, keeping the edges square. When rolled take off the rubber bands and slide out the pencils.

            This will give you a nice firm and parallel roll of mesh that you can slide into your 2" tube. Play with the length for your situation.
            If you get it right the rolls will slide in and be firm so they wont fall into the boiler.

            Don't listen to any one who repeats the mantra about not packing too tight and that they should be loose enough to blow through.
            I compacted one such roll within the column to be 20mm long and you guessed it; I could still blow through it.
            There you go for that bit anyway.

            Have fun

            --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "keith.woods2007@ ..." <keith.woods2007@ ...> wrote:

            > 1) How is the best way to install packing or scrubbers within the column? I have seen suspension and plates but I can't figure out which would be the best.

            > Woods

            If it exists, you'll find it on SEEK Want to be a Space Travel Agent?
          • just me
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
              the copper is supposed to get dingy. you should run hot water over it only.

              just me
               No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
              a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

            • ric
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 7, 2010
                After a run I drain the boiler, close my VM take off and pour about 4 litres of boiling water down the top of the column.

                I leave the unit together but then open all ports and let air circulate freely.

                The mesh stays fresh and usable for many many many months.

                I use to rinse with vinegar but found that it just depletes the copper mesh. The black discolouration on the mesh appears to have no adverse effect. In fact I have read it improves things.

                have fun

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 10, 2010
                  Thanks for that.  I have another problem.  Have been distilling for about five years now with no probs but my latest brew although working away for over a month registers no alcohol content.  I keep adding more yeast thinking it must need to work more but still no go.  Could this mean I have some sort of a bacteria issue going down?.  Has anybody else had this problem.  Go on - embarass me.  lol.

                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: hifa222@...
                  Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:22:12 -0600
                  Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Questions from a newbie?

                  the copper is supposed to get dingy. you should run hot water over it only.

                  just me
                   No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
                  a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

                  On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM, juliet kent <julietyumyum@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                  Browse profiles for Free! Singles online now!
                • juliet kent
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 10, 2010
                    Thanks, thats very helpful.  Should have asked years ago.  Cheers, juliet

                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: richutchings@...
                    Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 02:28:06 +0000

                    After a run I drain the boiler, close my VM take off and pour about 4 litres of boiling water down the top of the column.

                    I leave the unit together but then open all ports and let air circulate freely.

                    The mesh stays fresh and usable for many many many months.

                    I use to rinse with vinegar but found that it just depletes the copper mesh. The black discolouration on the mesh appears to have no adverse effect. In fact I have read it improves things.

                    have fun

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, juliet kent <julietyumyum@ ...> wrote:

                    > How long should the copper last before being changed as mine seems to go manky very quickly?

                    MSN NZ Travel Find a way to cure that travel bug
                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010

                      Juiliet,

                      I have no intention of embarassing you, but tis hard to believe your fermentation is "working away" with not change in specific gravity....  Matter o fact it is chemically impossible for it to be generating CO2 with no change in the sugar content.  Unless you used a highly carbonated water source of course.... (sorry just a joke :)).

                       As a wine maker turned distiller, I have never had a primary fermentation last longer than 7 days as far back as I can remember !!  You need to tell us what recipe you used, what type of yeast, the starting SG and did you use any nutrients?  If it was a sugar wash - remember there are no nutrients in pure sugar.  Please tell us this and will help very much in solving your problem.  You also might want to read up on yeast fermentation  and  yeast cultivation at http://archive.maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

                      Thanks,

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim aka Waldo.

                      In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, juliet kent <julietyumyum@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for that. I have another problem. Have been distilling for about five years now with no probs but my latest brew although working away for over a month registers no alcohol content. I keep adding more yeast thinking it must need to work more but still no go. Could this mean I have some sort of a bacteria issue going down?. Has anybody else had this problem. Go on - embarass me. lol.

                    • Robert Hubble
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
                        Juliet,

                        When you say "registers no alcohol content", are you referring to seeing no change in specific gravity? Have you tasted the wash to see if it's still sweet to the taste, indicating incomplete sugar-to-ethanol conversion? Has it picked up any nasty bacterial smells? Taste and smell can really tell you a lot. OH! Did you see a lot of airlock activity during the fermentation time (assuming of course, that you used an airlock).

                        Embarrass you? Never! (At least not until we know you better) We're just happy to have another lady in the group.

                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: julietyumyum@...
                        Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:52:31 +0000

                        To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 11, 2010
                          Right on the money ZB,

                          Them ol' timer moonshiners never used those new fangled hyro meters or thermo meters to make excellent likkers. As we talked about before, they used the senses God gave em - sight, taste and smell. To see how strong the stuff was, they shook the bottles to see how the bubbles (gooseeyes) distributed and took a swig of it :))).

                          Vino es Veritas,
                          Jim aka Waldo.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Thank you for that.  Will get that info to you soon.  Cheers, juliet

                            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: jamesonbeam1@...
                            Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:14:33 +0000

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                              OK.  I used more sugar than usual, 8 kg instead of 6kg, i used a different yeast called turbo gold super yeast compound.  I have measured sg of water (1%), brew (now at 14), sg of initial mix (8/25) (13) and alcohol reading still below zero but I can taste a small level of alcohol but it still very sweet.
                              I threw in a second lot of yeast (small amount and it worked away like crazy) but still no improvement in alcohol content so Ahem I threw in a beer yeast because it was all I had and I am miles from town and thought it couldnt hurt and it worked away for another week but still no change.  More nutrient required?

                              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              From: jamesonbeam1@...
                              Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:14:33 +0000

                              Juiliet,
                              I have no intention of embarassing you, but tis hard to believe your fermentation is "working away" with not change in specific gravity....  Matter o fact it is chemically impossible for it to be generating CO2 with no change in the sugar content.  Unless you used a highly carbonated water source of course.... (sorry just a joke :)).
                               As a wine maker turned distiller, I have never had a primary fermentation last longer than 7 days as far back as I can remember !!  You need to tell us what recipe you used, what type of yeast, the starting SG and did you use any nutrients?  If it was a sugar wash - remember there are no nutrients in pure sugar.  Please tell us this and will help very much in solving your problem.  You also might want to read up on yeast fermentation  and  yeast cultivation at http://archive. maltosefalcons. com/tech/ MB_Raines_ Guide_to_ Yeast_Culturing. php
                              Thanks,
                              Vino es Veritas,
                              Jim aka Waldo.

                              In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, juliet kent <julietyumyum@ ...> wrote:

                              > Thanks for that. I have another problem. Have been distilling for about five years now with no probs but my latest brew although working away for over a month registers no alcohol content. I keep adding more yeast thinking it must need to work more but still no go. Could this mean I have some sort of a bacteria issue going down?. Has anybody else had this problem. Go on - embarass me. lol.

                              Download the new Windows Live Looking for a place to manage all your online stuff?
                            • Johnnie Sisco
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010

                                Do you know what your PH is?

                              • juliet kent
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                                  No.   What would you suggest I use to measure ph?  Litmus or is that old school? I realise in hindsight I really broke the rules and sticking to guidelines and recipes is important.   I sometimes get a bit reckless (very occassionally) and throw protocol out the window and it usually bites me in the proverbial.  What will I learn from a PH test in this instance?

                                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: michael@...
                                  Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:35:30 -0600

                                  Do you know what your PH is?

                                  Browse profiles for Free! Singles online now!
                                • Peers Cawley
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010

                                    Look for an aquarium or pool supply firm you can get nice little digital PH testers for about 10 dollars

                                    Cheers From Peers

                                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: michael@...
                                    Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:35:30 -0600

                                    Do you know what your PH is?

                                    Browse profiles for Free! Singles online now!

                                  • joe giffen
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                                      Hi harry,
                                      Is 'New distillers' closed?

                                      Regards
                                      Joe

                                      To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
                                      From: michael@goairsoluti ons.com
                                      Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:35:30 -0600

                                      Do you know what your PH is?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010

                                        http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12501

                                        Here is a link talking about PH.

                                        If the PH gets too low or too high the yeast can’t work right depending on the yeast.

                                        I have used baking soda it works OK.  I prefer Potassium Carbonate this is what I use when making beer. Since your going to be distilling, the baking soda will be left behind. With beer whatever you put in you will be drinking.

                                        I had a Rum that had stopped fermenting I used the strips (they can be a little hard to read) and my ph was under 3  I added baking soda and brought it up above 5 and it took of again.

                                        Just add a little at a time keep testing it after each addition. If you go too high you can add water to bring it down if you have room in the fermenter or add citric acid like fruit fresh from the grocery store or lemon juice

                                        What you want to shoot for is a PH of 5.2 most times

                                        I have started using a PH adjuster (from Brewhas  http://www.brewhaus.com/52-pH-Adjuster-P859.aspx ) and my washes take off and finish faster.

                                        I bought this ph meter and I like it very much http://www.brewhaus.com/pH-Meter-P973.aspx but the strips are OK.  If your wash has lots of color like from molasses they are hard to read.

                                        Missouri Bootlegger

                                      • jamesonbeam1
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010

                                          Hi Juliet,

                                          I assume you are using the Alcotec Gold Turbo Super yeast which will ferment 6kg of sugar in 3 days for a 25 liter wash.  This is the advertized numbers and will produce a wash of 14.1%ABV.  The first thought that comes to mind is that since you added another 2kg over the recommended quantity this would produce an 18.8% ABV wash.  Just guessing here,  but that high a gravity wash may have caused way too much osmodic pressure on the yeast and killed them off.  18.8% is high even by S. Bayanus standards, and usually the  sugar is added in steps to reach this level.   This may explain why they start off fermenting fine and then stop.  I know for a fact that beer yeast only have a tolerance of 14% ABV and 18% is way over the limit.  Since turbo yeast has the nutrients in it, I dont believe thats a problem.

                                          pH is important since yeast grow best between a pH of 4 and 6.  To quote Dr. MB Raines:

                                          pH.  The last factor to affect yeast growth is pH (a measure of acidity).  Yeast grow well at acidic pHs.  They grow best between pH 4 to pH 6.  Normal wort is acidic with a pH near 5.2.  During growth and fermentation the pH drops to about 4.1-4.2 and in some cases even lower.

                                          One last thought is check the expiration date if there is one on the yeast package.  What I would do now is to remove about 1/3 of the wash (8 liters or so) and add water to bring the SG back to 1.110 (25.8 brix) for a 14% ABV wash again.  Since its been sitting for so long, aerate with a pump and stone for 6 hours or so and re-pitch another pack of turbo yeast.

                                          And next time Juliet, please follow the directions when using a new product or procedure..... ;).

                                          Vino es Veritas,

                                          Jim aka Waldo.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
                                            Heck no Joe, I was on it late last night and early this morning. Try again.

                                            Vino es Veritas,
                                            Jim aka Waldo.

                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi harry,
                                            > Is 'New distillers' closed?
                                            >
                                            > Regards
                                            > Joe
                                          • joe giffen
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
                                              Is it Jim aka Waldo,aka Harry?

                                              Regards
                                              Joe

                                              Heck no Joe, I was on it late last night and early this morning. Try again.

                                              Vino es Veritas,
                                              Jim aka Waldo.

                                              --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@. ..> wrote:

                                              > Hi harry,
                                              > Is 'New distillers' closed?
                                              >
                                              > Regards
                                              > Joe

                                            • jamesonbeam1
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010

                                                No Joe,

                                                Jim aka Waldo AKA MODERATOR , is not Harry, but if you noticed, Harry has not been around recently since he has been busy with computer problems and the moderators have been helping out by answering questions and approving messages.

                                                 If you bothered reading some of the postings in New Distillers, you would have read:

                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                                 Sorry for the late reply.  I've just spent nearly 3 days & nights restructuring from a computer meltdown. (try recovering nearly 100 Gig of info if you want something to do.  Still not fully up to speed).
                                                ___snip

                                                ps...Many thanks Geoff, for filling the breach in my absence.  Good work!  So too for the moderators.  Thank you.

                                                So anyways, your very welcome for answering your question....

                                                Vino es Veritas,

                                                Jim aka Waldo

                                                (Moderator filling in for Harry)

                                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                                                > Is it Jim aka Waldo,aka Harry?
                                                >
                                                > Regards
                                                > Joe

                                              • juliet kent
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
                                                  Thank you for that.  It is extremely helpful and I think believe there is a nutrient problem which I have now rectified and will test ph tomorrow.  Cheers, Juliet

                                                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 13, 2010
                                                    Yes I did aerate the wash but it is really good to know all that attention to detail really is important.  Alot of it I do just by gut feeling and years of helping my parents with their wine making and a bit of brewing but plan to make 2010 a year of learning brewing in more depth.  I have been a voyeur of this site for quite a few years but have been missing a bit of basic knowledge in hindsight.  Thanks all for your feedback (most of it non judgemental) and very helpful.  Cheers, juliet

                                                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                                    From: jamesonbeam1@...
                                                    Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:08:11 +0000

                                                    Hi Juliet,
                                                    I assume you are using the Alcotec Gold Turbo Super yeast which will ferment 6kg of sugar in 3 days for a 25 liter wash.  This is the advertized numbers and will produce a wash of 14.1%ABV.  The first thought that comes to mind is that since you added another 2kg over the recommended quantity this would produce an 18.8% ABV wash.  Just guessing here,  but that high a gravity wash may have caused way too much osmodic pressure on the yeast and killed them off.  18.8% is high even by S. Bayanus standards, and usually the  sugar is added in steps to reach this level.   This may explain why they start off fermenting fine and then stop.  I know for a fact that beer yeast only have a tolerance of 14% ABV and 18% is way over the limit.  Since turbo yeast has the nutrients in it, I dont believe thats a problem.
                                                    Some other thoughs are did you aerate you wash and also the question of the pH as was mentioned before.  A properly aerated wash is necessary for yeast growth - read the posting I just made in New Distillers http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ message/37653