Mongolian milk with a punch

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
    • billfitz49
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
        When I worked in Kazakhstan for 3 years in the late 90's I travelled all over Central Asia and tried 'kumis' (fermented mare's milk) and drank the same stuff in Mongolia where it's called 'airag'. The drink has such a low alcohol content, about 2 to 3 percent, that you have to drink buckets to feel any kind of a buzz. For good reason, vodka is the preferred beverage in both countries. In Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan the quality's good but in Ulan Batur, Mongolia where I got drunk one night with the director of the Chinggis Khan Mongolian Vodka factory, the stuff tasted like it had diesel fuel in it. The Mongolians don't seem to metabolize alcohol very well so when they do drink, they stay drunk for a long time. I had a similar, bad tasting vodka at a wedding in Tajikistan and woke up with a terrible hangover. In neighboring Kyrgyzstan you can buy 'Spirit' which is close to azeotrope and cut it 50/50 to make good vodka. As for other drinks, the central asian republics used to import a lot of bad wine from Moldova and the Republic of Georgia and also Ararat cognac from Armenia that's pretty good.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
          The nomadic herdsmen drink 3 litres of kumis a day so they probably consume about the eqivalent of 1/2 glass of vodka a day! Apparently kumis is exempt from religious restrictions.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billfitz49" <billfitz@...> wrote:

          > When I worked in Kazakhstan for 3 years in the late 90's I travelled all over Central Asia and tried 'kumis' (fermented mare's milk) and drank the same stuff in Mongolia where it's called 'airag'. The drink has such a low alcohol content, about 2 to 3 percent, that you have to drink buckets to feel any kind of a buzz. For good reason, vodka is the preferred beverage in both countries. In Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan the quality's good but in Ulan Batur, Mongolia where I got drunk one night with the director of the Chinggis Khan Mongolian Vodka factory, the stuff tasted like it had diesel fuel in it. The Mongolians don't seem to metabolize alcohol very well so when they do drink, they stay drunk for a long time. I had a similar, bad tasting vodka at a wedding in Tajikistan and woke up with a terrible hangover. In neighboring Kyrgyzstan you can buy 'Spirit' which is close to azeotrope and cut it 50/50 to make good vodka. As for other drinks, the central asian republics used to import a lot of bad wine from Moldova and the Republic of Georgia and also Ararat cognac from Armenia that's pretty good.

          > > Where it all began?
          > >
          > > Arkhi
          > > http://www.mongolfood.info/en/recipes/mongol-arkhi.html
          > >
          > > Kumis
          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis
          > >

          > > wal

        • gnikomson2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010

            > The nomadic herdsmen drink 3 litres of kumis a day so they probably consume about the eqivalent of 1/2 glass of vodka a day! Apparently kumis is exempt from religious restrictions.
            > wal

            And they have damn good bladders. :)
            Wonder what their total daily intake of fluids is?

          • Anthony Athawes
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
              That was a most interesting report, and, of course, I wonder what you were doing out in all those 'stans? Not selling ice-cream!

              Tony