double boiler or bain marie two messages together

  • sadangoll1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2010
      I just got a 15 and a 7.5 gallon kegs ,thinking stick the 7.5 in the 15, weld
      them together then drill two holes on top one to fill the 15 with water the
      other for a extra relief .Now if I took a 1/4 inch hose and ran it in the hole
      and stuck a burner or hot plate under it and turned it on just enough to heat
      the bottom and dripped water in it and make steam then I could make things like
      a herbal drinks and leave the herb and not burn them or would itbe better tojust
      fill the 15 gal full and heat that water for a double boiler?I guess I'm worried
      about to much pressure and even heat,burning my herbs and making a burnt
      product.
      I run a 15 gallon still I made ,also i have a lot
      of wine that got viril acid and stopped fermenting at about 12% and 14% was what
      I was going for so the wine is to sweet .I'm going to distill the batch and get
      my 95% then I'm going to make absinthe.So my question is by putting to
      kegs together one inside the other and welding them and then having a drip sysem
      to drip water in the keg with heat at the bottom to produce steam do I need a
      little pressure in it about 10 lbs or less or leave a hole for the steam to come
      out or is it better to just fill the keg with water and just boil it?I was told
      that steaming is the best way.I know kegs can take about 120 lbs of pressure but
      I really don't want to or feel I nedd that much pressure if any at all.