Detune still with Jackson Crossflow Condenser

  • bursal2
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2009
      Harry, I did get my still with your Jackson Crossflow Condenser built eventually and have it up and running beautifully. Only took nearly two years!!! As we have rainwater tanks here (no town water) I use one of the tanks with the spare domestic water pump as a recirculation vessel. No worries about the water getting hot. Hoses look a bit "Heath Robinson" though but it all works.
      It is a great design and easy to operate, I added the VM valve and lieberg as per one of the drawings you posted. Harry if I get up your way do you welcome visitors? We have friends at Tolga and visit them occasionally. Probably time we ventured north, but not until after the wet season, if it comes.
      So far I have only been doing plain sugar washes for vodka and flavoured spirits but I am about to try a couple of cornflake mashes.
      I would like comments on detuning my still for stripping and whiskey runs. I can shorten the column to . Should I remove some or all of the copper packing? I realise I keep the VM valve closed and just operate the needle valve
      I have been reading Ian Smiley's Making Pure Corn Whiskey and have paid particular attention to his procedure for making cuts.
      Thanks
      Di