RE: [Distillers] Re: using lightdimmers

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2009
      I know that there are ways of coupling up elements to get the desired heating level, but I think this is rather a hit and miss process.

      The best way is to get or make a Voltage Controller. This gives you infinite voltage control and may cost you between £5 and £30 depending on how much you do yourself, I used Distillers plan to start with - which worked to my surprise! - but I later managed to get a hefty controller on the eBay.

      I then coupled in a voltmeter so I could couple indicated voltage and resultant temperature to a fine degree. The only problem then is to decide the speed at which you want to distill. Too fast, and you'll overpower the the condenser and get a lower ABV. Too slower and you'll be there all night. 5 hours for 5 gallons seems about right - but this is a subject in itself.

      Good Luck!

      Tony