Re: Mum wash

  • dsmith1997
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
      Thanks to you and Peter for the responses. ZB just to clarify, you said 12 hours for each 16G run?

      I'm still just a rookie at this but I run 7 gallon washes thru a bobkabob reflux unit and it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours using propane to do a run. Just wondered it that was a reasonable timeframe. Sounds like it might be. I just moved up to a 7.5G boiler
      and now I thinking bigger but looking at the time investment. I agree,
      the end product is a wonderful thing.

      Duane

      > Duane,
      >
      > Simplifying it a lot, all day. On those 3 (total) runs, I've had multiple propane problems that lengthened the runs, but 12 hours per run, strip or spirit, is a very round number.
      >
      > Sorry for lack of precision.
      >
      > I love the larger batches, but when we haul the cases of Christmas presents to Christmas with our kids, we're going to seriously deplete the stocks, including wines.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: dsmith1997@...
      > Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:06:20 -0800
      > Subject: [Distillers] Mum wash

      > Hey Zymurgybob,
      >
      > I'm a big MUM wash fan as well but I'm curious. How much time does
      > it take you to do 2 beerstrips and one sprit run on washes that large?
      >
      > I'd like to move up to larger batches at some point.
      >
      > Thanks, Duane

    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
        Duane,

        To clarify, at an ambient temperature of about 20-25F, it takes me close to 2 hours to get 15 gallons of wash to boiling, with my propane burner and a lowered propane evaporation rate due to low temperature. Because my keg-based still spills very hot gasses out from around the bottom, I can't use any flammable insulation, so I lose a lot of heat to the air.

        One of my burners keeps getting into a mode where it roars like crazy, but doesn't seem to heat well, and I experience that during stripping, for a while. Combine that with a 7-8 hour stripping time and one gas-cylinder change, call it 10+ hours.

        For some things (like this) I'd love to have a big resistance heater, but I don't have 220V to the garage, and it would scorch many of the things I distill.

        As long as it tastes great, I can live with slow. I'm in no hurry to make nasty stuff.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: dsmith1997@...
        Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:01:32 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Re: Mum wash

        Thanks to you and Peter for the responses. ZB just to clarify, you said 12 hours for each 16G run?

        I'm still just a rookie at this but I run 7 gallon washes thru a bobkabob reflux unit and it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours using propane to do a run. Just wondered it that was a reasonable timeframe. Sounds like it might be. I just moved up to a 7.5G boiler
        and now I thinking bigger but looking at the time investment. I agree,
        the end product is a wonderful thing.

        Duane

      • dsmith1997
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2009
          ZB,

          Thanks for the detail. Big washes are an all day project so planning is in order but the results are worth waiting for :-)

          Duane