Mum wash

  • Duane Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
      Hey Zymurgybob,

      I'm a big MUM wash fan as well but I'm curious. How much time does
      it take you to do 2 beerstrips and one sprit run on washes that large?

      I'd like to move up to larger batches at some point.

      Thanks, Duane

    • peter442737
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
        Hi Duane heres my tupence worth on the MUM (super) wash. I do 2 x 5 ggallon batches (which ferment fairly quick). After syphoning and clearing I am left with just under 10 gallons of wash. I place this in my 11 gallon SS ex beer keg and heat up with a 3kw and 2.2kw internal elements and then strip with the 2.2kw element. Usually takes approx 3 3 - 3.5 hours. I usually get approx 2 gallons plus from the strip at around 40/50%. I add feints from previous runs and distill in my 1600mm x 50mm VM still and get approx 5.5 - 6.5 ltrs of 95% which when diluted down to 40% makes excellent vodka (or any other spirits you want to mix up). Hope this is of use to you. Special thanks to Mason for his super MUM wash recipe.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Duane Smith <dsmith1997@...> wrote:

        > Hey Zymurgybob,
        >
        > I'm a big MUM wash fan as well but I'm curious. How much time does
        > it take you to do 2 beerstrips and one sprit run on washes that large?
        >
        > I'd like to move up to larger batches at some point.
        >
        > Thanks, Duane

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
          Duane,

          Simplifying it a lot, all day. On those 3 (total) runs, I've had multiple propane problems that lengthened the runs, but 12 hours per run, strip or spirit, is a very round number.

          Sorry for lack of precision.

          I love the larger batches, but when we haul the cases of Christmas presents to Christmas with our kids, we're going to seriously deplete the stocks, including wines.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
            Thanks to you and Peter for the responses. ZB just to clarify, you said 12 hours for each 16G run?

            I'm still just a rookie at this but I run 7 gallon washes thru a bobkabob reflux unit and it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours using propane to do a run. Just wondered it that was a reasonable timeframe. Sounds like it might be. I just moved up to a 7.5G boiler
            and now I thinking bigger but looking at the time investment. I agree,
            the end product is a wonderful thing.

            Duane

            > Duane,
            >
            > Simplifying it a lot, all day. On those 3 (total) runs, I've had multiple propane problems that lengthened the runs, but 12 hours per run, strip or spirit, is a very round number.
            >
            > Sorry for lack of precision.
            >
            > I love the larger batches, but when we haul the cases of Christmas presents to Christmas with our kids, we're going to seriously deplete the stocks, including wines.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
            >

            > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > From: dsmith1997@...
            > Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:06:20 -0800
            > Subject: [Distillers] Mum wash

            > Hey Zymurgybob,
            >
            > I'm a big MUM wash fan as well but I'm curious. How much time does
            > it take you to do 2 beerstrips and one sprit run on washes that large?
            >
            > I'd like to move up to larger batches at some point.
            >
            > Thanks, Duane

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
              Duane,

              To clarify, at an ambient temperature of about 20-25F, it takes me close to 2 hours to get 15 gallons of wash to boiling, with my propane burner and a lowered propane evaporation rate due to low temperature. Because my keg-based still spills very hot gasses out from around the bottom, I can't use any flammable insulation, so I lose a lot of heat to the air.

              One of my burners keeps getting into a mode where it roars like crazy, but doesn't seem to heat well, and I experience that during stripping, for a while. Combine that with a 7-8 hour stripping time and one gas-cylinder change, call it 10+ hours.

              For some things (like this) I'd love to have a big resistance heater, but I don't have 220V to the garage, and it would scorch many of the things I distill.

              As long as it tastes great, I can live with slow. I'm in no hurry to make nasty stuff.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: dsmith1997@...
              Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:01:32 +0000
              Subject: [Distillers] Re: Mum wash

              Thanks to you and Peter for the responses. ZB just to clarify, you said 12 hours for each 16G run?

              I'm still just a rookie at this but I run 7 gallon washes thru a bobkabob reflux unit and it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours using propane to do a run. Just wondered it that was a reasonable timeframe. Sounds like it might be. I just moved up to a 7.5G boiler
              and now I thinking bigger but looking at the time investment. I agree,
              the end product is a wonderful thing.

              Duane

            • dsmith1997
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2009
                ZB,

                Thanks for the detail. Big washes are an all day project so planning is in order but the results are worth waiting for :-)

                Duane