MUM wash as vodka?

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2009
      Mason, I owe you one.

      I just finished a batch of your MUM wash, finally scaled to my keg-based potstill. I've got a new Rubbermaid Brute 32-gallon fermenter (on wheels, yet) which I used to produce 30 gallons of your hybrid MUM wash, using an even 2, 25-pound bags of sugar, which provided an even 2 stillsfull of wash. I know, I need headroom, but with its top, my keg actually holds about 16.5 gallons, and this stuff hardly foams at all.

      Anyway, after 2 beerstrips and one spirit run with bicarbonate, holding the first gallon for heads, I ended up with about 4.5 gallons of 80% ABV. I attacked that with my angel blaster, and literally blew the shit out of, and cut the stuff to 40% ABV to use for Christmas gifts, neat, in Irish Cream, and in gin.

      I passed some of the neat MUM wash spirit around, and everyone commented on how good it tasted, and that, as a vodka, they preferred it to vodka. I concur. It's sweet, has no lighter-fluid smell, and has a *very* delicate fruity note. Even when it was fermenting, even with "fertilizer" in it, people entering my garage would comment on how darned *good* the fermentation smelled.

      I'm giving some of this *stuff* to vodka-drinking friends as vodka, but of course it's really not vodka; it's better than vodka. So what to call it on the label? I'm going to call it "MUM". I think I may convert some vodka drinkers, and this stuff works neat in a snifter.

      By the way, what did MUM stand for? "Mason's Universal ummmm something"?

      Thanks again, guy.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller