Re: [Distillers] Re: VM thermometer placement

  • Kevin Healey
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
      Luckily my basement stays a relatively consistent 65ish. This has served me well for beer brewing and I hope for mash as well. The bitch for me is carrying the "beer" upstairs and out to the garage for distillation, oh well we all have to suffer for at at some point Right?

      Slainte,
      Kevin

      On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Hey Kevin,

      I've got the same problem in the same place. My biggest hassle in this latest cold spell is thawing out my cooling-supply hose from the hose bib, and finding a place (consistently) warm enough to ferment reliably is a bitch, also.

      For a potstiller, air-cooling is easier.

      Ah, well, I love the green.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: healeykb@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 22:17:46 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: VM thermometer placement

      Thanks for the input, I live in the Northwest region of the U.S. and a passive air cooled condenser is quite feasible, especially in the winter months. I guess I need to figure out how many watts I am generating at the condenser. I am sure there has to be a calculator somewhere within this sight that will make this possible. Again thank you.

      Slainte,
      Kevin

      ---snip----

      Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.

    • geoff
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 10, 2009

        Hi Kevin,

             If you have a small compressor in your basement, or you could run a compressor hose to your basement.  You can make light work of carrying/pumping your mash upstairs.  (You could also use a filtered air supply from an over pressurized spare wheel).

             Please bear with me, Volkswagen used this method in their early post WW2 Volkswagen Beetles to pump water up to their car windscreen (from the over pressurized spare wheel in the trunk/boot in the front of the car) years before electric windscreen washers ever became fashionable.

             Put your mash into a tightly air-sealed container.  Put the compressed filtered inlet air supply from compressor in through the lid and into the air gap above your mash.  Now put a siphon cane down through a good tight fitting rubber grommet through the lid and down into your mash, stopping about one inch above the container base or just above the settled mash/trub.  Tighten and securely attach a hose to the siphon cane.

             The filtered compressed air presses down upon the mash surface forcing the mash up the siphon cane near the base of the mash up into the hose and up stairs. Switch the compressor on and off (Don't over-pressurize the air gap) until all the mash is in your container upstairs.  Mission accomplished and no back ache or spilt mash. Try this pdf in the files section link for a rough sketch http://tiny.cc/oEsif

        Geoff
      • nwvapors66
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 10, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

          > Hi Kevin,
          >
          > If you have a small compressor in your basement, or you could run a compressor hose to your basement. You can make light work of carrying/pumping your mash upstairs. (You could also use a filtered air supply from an over pressurized spare wheel).
          >
          > Please bear with me, Volkswagen used this method in their early post WW2 Volkswagen Beetles to pump water up to their car windscreen (from the over pressurized spare wheel in the trunk/boot in the front of the car) years before electric windscreen washers ever became fashionable.
          >
          > Put your mash into a tightly air-sealed container. Put the compressed filtered inlet air supply from compressor in through the lid and into the air gap above your mash. Now put a siphon cane down through a good tight fitting rubber grommet through the lid and down into your mash, stopping about one inch above the container base or just above the settled mash/trub. Tighten and securely attach a hose to the siphon cane.
          >
          > The filtered compressed air presses down upon the mash surface forcing the mash up the siphon cane near the base of the mash up into the hose and up stairs. Switch the compressor on and off (Don't over-pressurize the air gap) until all the mash is in your container upstairs. Mission accomplished and no back ache or spilt mash. Try this pdf in the files section link for a rough sketch http://tiny.cc/oEsif
          >
          > Geoff

          Thanks for the tip Geoff,

          I'll check out the file you uploaded and see what I can figure out, It might work for me.
          Thanks again,
          Slainte,
          Kevin
        • geoff
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 10, 2009

            Hi Kevin and guys,

                  Seems like my tiny link doesn’t work so try this tiny link http://tiny.cc/94UXr

            Geoff
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 10, 2009
              I suppose a cornelius keg would be quite perfect to for this application. You could even add an inline filter to the line to clear the mash at the same time.

              Slainte, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nwvapors66" <healeykb@...> wrote:

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Kevin,
              > >
              > > If you have a small compressor in your basement, or you could run a compressor hose to your basement. You can make light work of carrying/pumping your mash upstairs. (You could also use a filtered air supply from an over pressurized spare wheel).
              > >
              > > Please bear with me, Volkswagen used this method in their early post WW2 Volkswagen Beetles to pump water up to their car windscreen (from the over pressurized spare wheel in the trunk/boot in the front of the car) years before electric windscreen washers ever became fashionable.
              > >
              > > Put your mash into a tightly air-sealed container. Put the compressed filtered inlet air supply from compressor in through the lid and into the air gap above your mash. Now put a siphon cane down through a good tight fitting rubber grommet through the lid and down into your mash, stopping about one inch above the container base or just above the settled mash/trub. Tighten and securely attach a hose to the siphon cane.
              > >
              > > The filtered compressed air presses down upon the mash surface forcing the mash up the siphon cane near the base of the mash up into the hose and up stairs. Switch the compressor on and off (Don't over-pressurize the air gap) until all the mash is in your container upstairs. Mission accomplished and no back ache or spilt mash. Try this pdf in the files section link for a rough sketch http://tiny.cc/oEsif
              > >
              > > Geoff
              > >
              > Thanks for the tip Geoff,
              >
              > I'll check out the file you uploaded and see what I can figure out, It might work for me.
              > Thanks again,
              > Slainte,
              > Kevin

            • nwvapors66
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 15, 2009
                That would work fine, another thing to ponder. I am still working on air cooling my reflux. Do you know of a calculator/program to determine the energy at the condenser? I am trying to decide on the # of finned tubes I will need, keep in mind I am an artist not a mathematician. Formulas sometimes make my eyes go crossed.

                Slainte,
                Kevin

                > I suppose a cornelius keg would be quite perfect to for this application. You could even add an inline filter to the line to clear the mash at the same time.
                >
                > Slainte, Riku
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nwvapors66" <healeykb@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Kevin,
                > > >
                > > > If you have a small compressor in your basement, or you could run a compressor hose to your basement. You can make light work of carrying/pumping your mash upstairs. (You could also use a filtered air supply from an over pressurized spare wheel).
                > > >
                > > > Please bear with me, Volkswagen used this method in their early post WW2 Volkswagen Beetles to pump water up to their car windscreen (from the over pressurized spare wheel in the trunk/boot in the front of the car) years before electric windscreen washers ever became fashionable.
                > > >
                > > > Put your mash into a tightly air-sealed container. Put the compressed filtered inlet air supply from compressor in through the lid and into the air gap above your mash. Now put a siphon cane down through a good tight fitting rubber grommet through the lid and down into your mash, stopping about one inch above the container base or just above the settled mash/trub. Tighten and securely attach a hose to the siphon cane.
                > > >
                > > > The filtered compressed air presses down upon the mash surface forcing the mash up the siphon cane near the base of the mash up into the hose and up stairs. Switch the compressor on and off (Don't over-pressurize the air gap) until all the mash is in your container upstairs. Mission accomplished and no back ache or spilt mash. Try this pdf in the files section link for a rough sketch http://tiny.cc/oEsif
                > > >
                > > > Geoff
                > > >
                > > Thanks for the tip Geoff,
                > >
                > > I'll check out the file you uploaded and see what I can figure out, It might work for me.
                > > Thanks again,
                > > Slainte,
                > > Kevin

              • Michael
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 15, 2009
                  I know the latent heat to be removed for water is 970 BTUs per pound, plus add 1 BTU per degree F of sensible heat removed IE: going from 180 degrees to 65 degrees = 115.
                  115 + 970 = 1085 BTU per pound of water. 8.34 pounds of water in a gallon
                  Somewhere around ½ Ltr per pound

                  So to cool 180 degree steam to 65 degree liquid you would have to remove 1085 BTUs per ½ Liter

                  How much air needed to do that ???? I will look it up

                  Johnnie Sisco

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nwvapors66" <healeykb@...> wrote:

                  > That would work fine, another thing to ponder. I am still working on air cooling my reflux. Do you know of a calculator/program to determine the energy at the condenser? I am trying to decide on the # of finned tubes I will need, keep in mind I am an artist not a mathematician. Formulas sometimes make my eyes go crossed.
                  >
                  > Slainte,
                  > Kevin
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I suppose a cornelius keg would be quite perfect to for this application. You could even add an inline filter to the line to clear the mash at the same time.
                  > >
                  > > Slainte, Riku
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nwvapors66" <healeykb@> wrote:

                  > > > Thanks for the tip Geoff,
                  > > >
                  > > > I'll check out the file you uploaded and see what I can figure out, It might work for me.
                  > > > Thanks again,
                  > > > Slainte,
                  > > > Kevin

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 15, 2009

                    Ok I have a formula 3 BTUs per 1 CFM of air moved across the coil with a 20 degree F.  differential of the inlet to outlet air.     Design for an A/C coil