Regarding Absinthe Distillation

  • iratepatient
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
      First off, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy www.homedistiller.org and have spent many a late night reading and calculating because of it.

      Over the past few years I've become quite an Absinthe enthusiast and would love to distill my own personal "Green Fairy". Not only do I want to do this under the safest circumstances, but would also enjoy distilling a "traditional" batch.

      I have yet to obtain a still, but I've made my own pot still (unsuccessfully) and hope to purchase a copper Alembic Pot Still later on this month.

      Aside from that, I have all of the information I need (mostly via www.homedistiller.org and bits from www.feeverte.net), however, I was curious as to whether or not distilling a Wine, Port Wine (be it Red, Ruby, Tawny, White, etc.) or Brandy would have a dramatic influence on the overall taste of the of final product?

      Up until fairly recently I was planning on using a Neutral Grain Spirit, however, not only do I not want to make something that isn't somewhat authentic (granted, that if I wanted something "authentic" I'd have to dish out somewhere around three to five hundred dollars on a single 50ml shot of "real" Absinthe -- yeah right), but I don't want to make something that tastes like the inside of a work boot.

      So if anyone has the answer to my question or any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you.

      -John
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2009
        Hi John,
        If you are a beginner I think you should go to our sister group new distillers. Also to buy a bottle of absinthe costs nothing like the amount you mention, see this link www.alandia.de
        Lastly does your email name reflect your present address? as you may be aware it has been rumoured that the green fairy can get you a place in your local asylum.
        .
        Regards
        Joe

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2009
          Haha, well I rather enjoyed this particular oxymoron (no jokes about my own ignorance, please, haha) so I've kept it for some time, however, I will definitely keep a watchful eye.

          I've already sampled several different kinds of Absinthe from several different companies/distillers. I know that most Absinthe ranges between 50 and 150 dollars depending on where you're buying from, be it a local Liquor "Emporium" or having it imported (S&H is absurd!).

          I was talking about the pre-ban era samples from http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-buy/vintage1.html; they come in 50ml shots.

          Thank you for the recommendation, by the way. I will definitely check that out.